Chapter- 3

"Excuse me, but is this the service club?" Our visitor, who was my classmate Yuigahama, asked while peeking through the door. I honestly didn't expect her to come here, as she was supposed to be at the mall with her friends.

"Yes, this room belongs to the service club." Responded Yukinoshita.

After confirming that this was indeed the Service Club, Yuigahama politely closed the door and carefully entered the room before letting out a shriek upon seeing me and Hikigaya.

"A-Ah! W-What's Hikki and Ayanokoji-Kun Doing here?"

'Hikki'? Was that supposed to be a pet name for Hikigaya? I didn't see them interacting in class even once though, and I can't picture an unsocial guy like Hikigaya befriending a cheerful girl like Yuigahama. It's possible they didn't show their friendship much around others and kept it a secret, but I can't be sure.

"We are members of the service club." Hikigaya replied.

"Wah-?! Ayanokoji-Kun, you too?" I nodded in confirmation to her question.

It was clear why Yuigahama was surprised. She and her clique wouldn't have known that I declined their invitation to join a club. Heck, even I didn't know that I would end up as a member of the Service Club.

"Wow! Ayanokoji-kun, you joined a club on your first day!" Yuigahama said, looking impressed. She probably thought that I was eager to participate in extracurricular activities.

I wanted to correct her misunderstanding, but I didn't feel the need to tell her that it was Hiratsuka-sensei who had thrown me into the club.

"Yuigahama Yui, right?" Yukinoshita asked.

"Eh? You know me, Yukinoshita-san?" Yuigahama's expression lit up at the mention of her name.

I'm not sure why, but from what I could see during the conversation between Hiratsuka-sensei and Yukinoshita, sensei also seemed to hold Yukinoshita in high regard. She did have a good-looking appearance and her demeanor resembled that of an honor student. From all this, it was safe to assume that she was well-known and respected by both students and teachers at school.

Hikigaya interjected sarcastically, "She probably knows every student in this school."

Yukinoshita sneered, "Not at all. I certainly didn't know you."

Hikigaya pointed his finger at me and retorted, "Hey, why are you just referring to me? You didn't know him either."

As those words left Hikigaya's mouth, Yukinoshita looked at him as if he was the most foolish person she had ever encountered.

'I can already sense the stream of insults about to flow from her lips.'

"Hikigaya-kun, are you truly that stupid? It's obvious that I won't know about him, given that he has only just joined the school today, but even so, he already seems to have a bigger presence than you. You don't have to get upset about it though, it was entirely my fault for not noticing you earlier. Your character disinterested me, and I felt compelled to avoid looking at you. It's all on me.," said Yukinoshita, insulting Hikigaya which probably shattered Hikigaya's self-esteem.

"H-hey, what's wrong with you? That's not a way to console some... Tch," Hikigaya shakily attempted to retort, but he cut himself off with a click of his tongue and a groan, slumping in his seat. Yukinoshita, on the other hand, paid him no attention and simply flicked the strands of hair that had fallen on her shoulders.

"Ayanokoji-kun, are they always like this?" Yuigahama addressed me, her eyes sparkling with amusement as she observed the exchange between my fellow club members. Perhaps she found their banter entertaining, just like I did.