Thirty

Superbowl Sunday.

The biggest game of the year... and my boyfriend and his team are Superbowl Champions!

Dani and I went over to Mark and Daniel's place to watch the game. We had made it a little get-together and also, it was a chance for Mark to help me study one last time before my exam tomorrow.

"Man! That was an intense game," Daniel leaned back on his couch, all the adrenaline that was coursing through our veins was finally coming to an end.

"For real! That last play was epic! Russell made a great pass to Doug," Dani agreed.

My heart filled with pride and happiness for Russ. I was smiling every time I hear my friends talk about all the good plays and the great defense that the team did. As I helped Mark pick up our snacks that was scattered all over the place, we watched the post-game stuff. The teams were headed back to the locker rooms, so I excused myself to make a call. Hopefully, he will answer.

"Hello?" I hear the happiness in Russell's voice, as well as a bunch of guys in the background all celebrating.

"Congratulations!" I smile, knowing that a big smile most likely appeared on his face just now.

"Baby," the joy is evident in his tone, as is the emotion. "Thank you! I'm so glad to hear your voice right now. I wish you were here to celebrate with us."

"We'll celebrate once you get back home. I'm just so happy for you and everyone else! You played a great game!"

"Well I have the best team and the best fans to support me. And I also have you. You were part of my motivation to bring home the trophy."

I giggle. He always says the sweetest things that make me fall in love with him even more. "How's your shoulder?" I asked, concerned.

During the third quarter, Russ was forced out of the pocket and he ran the ball. A couple of guys from the other team tackled him to the ground where he landed on his left shoulder, hard. I cringed when I saw it, and prayed that he was okay. Medics checked him, and instead of him sitting out the rest of the game and letting the backup QBs play, he toughed it out.

"A little sore. I think I might have pulled something, but I'll get it checked. Don't worry, baby."

I frown. "You better. I know in your field of work, your risk of injury is high, and it's still something I have to get used to. Just promise to get it checked immediately."

"Yes, Mel. Hey look, I've got to go and pack up my locker. I'll get my shoulder checked by one of our trainers here and I'll get back to you on the diagnosis."

"Okay Russ. Text me later then?"

"I will, baby. I love you, and good luck on your exam tomorrow. Maybe I'll see you tomorrow night when I arrive?"

I smile. "Maybe. And thank you, babe. I love you, too."

After an hour of final reviewing with Mark, Dani and I head back home. We stop by the reception desk before going up to our place to see if there were any deliveries.

"Miss Cordova?" the young lady behind the desk asks me for confirmation. I nod. "A bouquet was delivered earlier today." She turned and grabbed a small arrangement of flowers then handed them to me. I look at them, puzzled, and read the note. It says the same thing from last time, basically saying that my fairy tale is coming to an end.

In fact, it has been happening all week. I've been getting weird notes and bouquets from someone, and I don't know who. I feel like it's just a fan of Russell who's obsessed with him and is just not happy that I'm his girlfriend or something. Or I thought it was just sent to the wrong person, not really intended for me. I don't know, but I shrug it off, not letting it get to me.