One

A bright light shined into my eyes. I groaned groggily. "Mum, turn off the light," I mumbled, trying to pull the covers over my head. I felt something pinching my wrist. I cracked open an eye, looking at it. My eyes widened as I saw something in my hand. I looked at the cover I was holding. It wasn't my quilt. I was gripping a blue blanket.

The cover was pulled away. I came face to face with a man in blue scrubs with a stethoscope hanging around his neck.

I licked my bottom lip, realising my throat felt very dry.

"Chlo, you're awake!" Mum said, the relief evident in her voice. As I looked at her, I couldn't help but notice her messy appearance. Her brown hair was in the messiest bun I had ever seen my mother wear.

I frowned. I ached all over. With every movement, pain shot through my body. Why did it hurt? I never had a hangover like this before. My head was pounding. This was definitely Holly's fault; I was so throwing her under the bus for this. "What's going on?" Looking around the room, I caught sight of Dad sitting in the black chair on the other side of my bed. That was never good. Dad barely ever took time off work. The bags under his eyes seemed a little worse than the last time I saw him. "Where's Holly?" My eyebrows squished together in confusion. "Why am I in hospital?"

"Chlo, I'm Doctor Shepard. I'm one of the doctors on your case," he said, bringing my attention back to him.

I stared at him blankly and glanced around the room. What case?

"You sustained some injuries from the accident."

"What accident?" I looked around the room once more and noticed there were a few people missing. "Where's Holly? Tom? Corey?" Holly never missed an opportunity to be by my side.

My parents stared at me, their mouths opening, but no words coming out.

Dr. Shepard cleared his throat. I looked back at him as I bit my lip. "I'm going to check your vitals."

I nodded, watching as he checked my blood pressure, heart rate, and other things.

"Chlo, what is the last thing you remember before waking up today?"

I cocked my head to the side as my hand rested on the base of my neck, scratching my nails slightly. Pursing my lips, I tried to think. "Erm." I reached up, itching my nose. "Eighteenth birthday. Clubbing, and then it's kind of fuzzy," I admitted. "Nobody actually answered my question. Where is Holly?"

"What's wrong with her?" Mum asked.

Dr. Shepard approached her side, talking quietly. I rolled my eyes. I hated it when people spoke about you in front of you. It was just damn right rude.

Leaning forward, I tried to listen in. "She still thinks Holly is alive—"

"What?" I interrupted. I shook my head. "Can I wash up? I feel icky," I said as a shiver went through me.

They nodded. I climbed off the bed, my knees going weak. The pain shooting through my body made my eyes widen. What did we do last night? I walked to the bathroom, taking the IV stand with me. I pushed open the door. Turning the light on, I turned back around and jumped as I saw Holly standing there.

"Holy shit, you scared the crap out of me," I said, holding my chest as my heart beat faster. I stared at her, confused. "Why are you hiding?"

"Trip to Paris, remember? Couldn't leave without saying goodbye to the unconscious best friend," she joked, brushing a strand of hair away from her face.

I laughed. "Text me."

"Promise." She nodded.

I opened the door, heading back to my room. "I don't have a flannel," I said as I walked in. I sat back down on the bed, letting go of the metal pole as it sat at the head of my bed.