Chapter 8

A/N: Ok, so I forgot to mention this in the previous chapter, but I'll mention it now. Soooo....  Top Gun. Technically as of 2018-2023, Top Gun is actually located in Fallon, Nevada. However, I think (its been a while since I've watched the movie) that Top Gun: Maverick infers that Top Gun is in San Diego. So, things might be a little off, mostly the fact that there is no beach.... I feel really bad changing things from the movie because obviously, I respect and love Top Gun and Top Gun: Maverick immensely. However, it is a little necessary. So, instead of the beach in San Diego, we have good 'ol Carson Lake, Fallon, Nevada. So that is where the Hard Deck is located. Thanks for understanding!

-Kathy

Beside me, Gio turned, a look of comprehension dawning on his face. He now understood why I had yanked him away from the others. His old pal Bradley Bradshaw had dropped in to say hello. "How'd you know?" Giovanni asked me under his breath as we moved to lean against the wall, nonchalantly.

"I didn't. It was just...an impulse, I guess."

He nodded. "Weird, but it worked." 

I smiled grimly. "Yup, it did, but for how long?"

From our angle, away from the group, I couldn't quite make out Bradley. Meanwhile, Phoenix continued.

"This is how I find out you're state side?" she asked as Bradley neared us. Coyote who stood blocking our view, leaned against the wall, leaving nothing but the snooker table between me and everyone else. If Bradshaw would glance up, he would see us.

Bradley smiled cockily at her, folding his sunglasses on the neck of his white t-shirt he wore underneath his pink palm covered button up. Phoenix didn't look amused. Instead she leaned over, taking a snooker stick from Fanboy and preparing for a hit...and then proceeded to move the stick backwards, straight into Bradshaws gut, sending him buckling over.

Beside me, Gio visibly fought back a laugh. "He should've seen that one coming."

I rolled my eyes. And returned my attention to Phoenix and Bradley, pretending to drink my beer.

Phoenix was smirking. "I guess I surprised you back," she said. Bradley smiled, wincing in pain.

"It's good to see you," he said.

"Good to see you too," was her response. Bradley patted her on the back and stood upright before walking past her to talk to the others. Hangman had left to go to the counter again, right before Bradley's entrance. I was looking around the room to find him, when, beside me, Gio spoke again.

"Kat, I know now's not really the time, but--"

"Gio, really? If now's 'not really the time' then don't tell me now!" I said to him, laughing.

"Kat, seriously. I think you should know," Gio said, interrupting my laugh. Looking at him, I noticed his eyebrows drawn closer together than usual. His goofy, cocky smile was replaced by a grim line. He was serious.

"Whats up?" I asked and then under my breath, "We can't hide here forever, he'll think we're cowards. When Hangman comes back, lets go closer."

He nodded, briefly acknowledging my second statement before returning to the first.

"Kat, dads here."

I had been drinking when he told me, and now, I choked on my beer. Coughing, I turned my back to the others, who had hopefully not heard my hacking.

Swallowing what remained of my beer, I pulled Gio further away from the others to continue our conversation. When I had finally regained my ability to talk without coughing, I turned to face him.