THREE ; PET PROJECT

"I didn't know it was a source!"

In the kitchen, Matilda now sat on the counter next to the sink, idly sipping a cup of tea that George had made her. George in question was leaning against the sink just next to Matilda, Lockwood was leaned a little further down the counter, and Lucy was sat at the table like a delinquent child.

At the moment, she very much was.

The other three were listening to Lucy's explanation of why Annabel Ward's ring was found under her bed.

"I just took it because...its like I can feel what she feels." Lucy tried her best to explain. "What she wants."

The small ring currently sat inside a silver glass box that rested on the kitchen table; like a piece of evidence from a crime scene.

"Its hard to explain." Lucy finally said, tapping her hand on the thinking cloth irritably.

Matilda raised an eyebrow. "A psychic connection?" She sipped her tea.

Lucy pointed to her. "Yes!"

"I literally cannot believe you stole a source from a crime scene." George said monotonely with a deadpan expression. He looked over at Lockwood, his voice raising slightly. "DEPRAC will bury us!"

Lucy looked offended. "Excuse me? I'm not the only one 'round here who steals sources. What about that ridiculous skull you're always experimenting on?" Lucy gestured towards Matilda. "Mattie said she literally found it in the tub this morning!"

Geoege pursed his lips and went silent.

"Annabel was stuck behind a wall for forty years with nobody knowing and DEPRAC doing sod all!" Lucy continued stubbornly. "She needs our help."

George still wasn't seeing the point. "And what does she expect you to do, exactly, after all this time?" He shook his head.

"Solve this. Get justice."

"She's dead, Lucy." Lockwood said suddenly. "We can't help a ghost. We need to destroy her source and move on. Let her go."

Lucy was silent. Then, her gaze shifted to George and Matilda.

"Come on, you two. Back me up." Lucy offered a quaint smile as she walked around the table towards them. "Mattie, you understand, right? There must've been one time when you've heard a ghost and you've wanted to help it? You've understood what it was feeling?" Matilda just stared down at her tea. Lucy paused before her eyes shifted over to George. "George, you love a new experiment. Why throw away the chance to investigate a new phenomenon?" She tried to reason.

George scoffed. "Nice try, but psychic connections are weak science. You felt sorry for her. You heard her death loop. End of story."

Lucy had her arms crossed as she now stood in front of the table. "So prove it." She looked to Lockwood. "Before you destroy the ring, let me try to connect with her one last time. See what else I can feel. Let me prove to you that it is real."

"No way." Lockwood said immediately. "Too dangerous." He crossed his arms, as if that were that.

George slowly turned his head, bouncing on his feet slightly. "Well, it is almost dawn. Her ghost will be much weaker."

"No." Lockwood's voice was stern. We've only just escaped with our lives. Twice."

"Because you were unprepared. Twice." George smirked. "This time, we'll do it properly." He moved to stand next to Lucy.

The girl stared at Lockwood now. "I need to do this." She told him.

Lockwood was silent. Then, he spared a glance over at Matilda, who was still on the counter, drinking tea.