XIX. The Encounter

Nuri.

Emma is the quintessential poster child for southern belle and southern charm, doing everything a well-mannered woman would do to make her guest feel welcome right down to the biscuits with honey and sweet tea that sat at the coffee table between us now. 

We chatted, we discussed and we did all the small talk we could and I kept trying to find the pull she had on Nathaniel. Was it her light brown skin or her honey-colored eyes? Maybe it was the fact that she spoke like a cultured woman waving her hands about here and there as though her manicure needed to be paraded around.

She's a bougie chick, plain and simple. I'm not saying I was no better than her because I've been known to partake in bourgeoisie activities myself. It's just Emma's bougie was the kind that said, "I've been poor before and I ain't never going back." My parents had a word for people like her. 

Never hoped for.

It's funny because her townhouse didn't match her attitude. It was bare, her furniture was... of the outdoor variety. 

That's right some damn patio furniture.

 She didn't even have a grasp of what color scheme meant or could mean. There were even framed painting propped up against the wall. I mean honestly, she couldn't bother to put those sad pictures up on her tired walls. At least make it look like you lived here for over an hour.  

"You've got a great foundation here and I think I have a grasp of what it is you're looking for." I said and settled into her makeshift loveseat. 

"You've got no idea how blessed I am to have found you, darling. My son loves it here and I need to be certain that he's completely at ease."

"Where is your son now?" I asked and hoped it didn't sound too accusatory. "I mean I just thought he might want to add a few things to his personal space."

"My son is at daycare right now. He's quite the special one." She reached over to her side table and produced a picture of him. 

I examined him closely looking for any traces of Nathaniel. I needed to be sure that this whole charade served a purpose. The boy looked like his mother, and also looked like Nathaniel. If it turned out that he was indeed Nathaniel's son - - that changed the whole complexion of our future.

"Isn't he something?" She asked me I could feel her eyes silently regarding me, scrutinizing me.

My eyes met hers only to find her boring a knowing look into the side of my face.  I offered a simple smile and nodded. 

"Children are miracles," I said sitting back and setting up my workspace. "Every last one of them serves a purpose in God's plan."

"You are absolutely right about that." She said on a sigh and settled back in her seat as well. "I will say that my son is the best thing I've ever done and I would do anything for his well being."

"As mothers tend to do," I said a forced smile. God! I wanted to rip her a new asshole. 

We were silent for a while and I went through the motions on my computer. Like I was actually going to design a room for this chick? I couldn't hear Ambrose in my ear and it worried me a little.  

"You know, you're very beautiful," she said pointedly. "No ring on your finger. Are you seeing anyone?"

My eyes flitted up to her.

Her gaze met mine squarely. "Sorry," she said with a small laugh. "I don't' mean to pry." 

She clearly wanted to take this to the next step, and I was ready for her ass. I know Ambrose could hear this and I expected him to say something my now but he said nothing.

On a sharp inhale I sat back and set my arms in my lap.  I had to cut the bullshit. "I have a man actually," I started. "He's perfect in every way. He's loyal- - caring. He's the best thing that ever happened to me."

"Hmmm," she sighed crossing her legs and looking off in the distance. "He sounds like Mr. Right. How long you two been together?" I noticed her vernacular changed. Her voice sounded a little less cultured. 

"Not long." I offered, shaking my head.

She still looked off into the distance. "Well, word of advice sweetheart... a man's past is never easily forgotten." She met my eyes once again.

"It is when it's dead," I replied not missing a beat. My body was shaking, but my voice was nice and firm.

"It's becoming clear to me that you know who I am. So it's time we drop this charade."

Ambrose definitely wasn't listening in any more or else he would have a few choice words for me by now. 

"Okay. Let's get to it."

"Nathaniel is my son's father. We have a child together. I want him to have a relationship with his father."

I smirked. "It would be admirable if it were true."

She raised a questioning brow. "Oh? What about this says I'm playing games here?"

"You may not be playing games but this is a joke." I sat back. "Why go through all of this? You want your son to know his father just do it simple as that. Don't' waste your time here with me. You clearly have another agenda and it involves me. So stop the bullshit."

She let out a sinister laugh. "Well, since you have the answers then tell me what happens next. You came here knowing who I was. He doesn't even know you're here does he?"

"No. Lucky for you he doesn't," I confirmed and cleared my throat. "I guess I came here because I needed to see for myself that you were real." I put my laptop and portfolio in my bag and put my bag over my shoulder. "You asked me here to scope me out. I came here to do the same. Now that I've seen you, I can rest easy in knowing that I have nothing to worry about."

We both stood up facing each other. He light eyes danced with anger. She hated me, this much was clear. Well, I hated her ass too. I registered her making slow strides toward me and couldn't decide whether I should stay put or move away from me.

I should've moved because in the next instant she lunged at me. Her hands clamping over my neck and squeezing tight. I flashed back to Cassius fear paralyzed me. Panic swirled in me and I wanted to drop everything I had to fight her off of me. 

Then I remembered. My portfolio bag!  I still had it on my shoulder and my laptop was in it. I let it slip down my arm to my hand.  With all my might, I swung it at her and watched it connect with the side of her head. She loosened her grip on me and I was able to push her off. 

I hadn't knocked her out, but she was winded. I took my chance and made a run for the front door. I was yanked backward by my hair and forcibly pulled to the ground. She was on me throwing punches. 

I didn't sit there and take it and I punched back.

She was like a deranged person, screaming and slapping me about here and there. Pain sliced through me and I felt my eyes well up with tears. If I could get past my shock than I knew I could find the strength and rage needed to put her down.

But this bitch was strong.

She pulled me up to my feet and I shoved her into the wall behind her. My overloaded brain tried to work me through this whole thing. I needed to get out of this.  I'm in her house. This is her territory. I needed to do something and quick. 

And where the hell is Ambrose?

Author's Note to the Reader:

This part was a beast. I spent many days ruminating about how these two should meet. I hope their Encounter was satisfactory. 

I also have a question.
What do you guys think about shorter chapters vs. longer chapters?