The New World

—I want to be the greatest hero.

Snapping back to reality, a young man opened his eyes, feeling the itchy grass on his back, he sat up.

Adjusting his eyes to the bright sky that he had found himself seeing, he looked downwards, rubbing his brown eyes.

"You're— David... h-hi."

The young man opened his eyes, and saw another man his age looking at him.

"Who are you?"

"Me? I'm Thomas, your brother."

The man who called himself Thomas smiled gently, and extended his hand out.

The man who was supposedly David was hesitant to take it.

He had no memories of what had happened before, or even anything, really.

"Oh, do you not... remember me?"

Thomas had a faintly sad look on his face, but with the shaking of his head, he clapped the cheeks on his face with his hands, and told himself to focus.

"Yeah, that cruel goddess sacrificed your memories to bring us into this world. Listen, we're not from this world, we're from a planet called earth, far far away. In exchange for being able to come here, she had to wipe your memories away."

"You claim to be my... brother? How can I be sure of that?"

Thomas' face eased up, and he began to giggle a bit.

"Well, we were twins, and ended up having the same birthmark. Although it's on our wrist, we have the exact same one."

Turning his head, David looked at his left wrist, seeing a scythe shaped birthmark on it.

Thomas showed David his own, and despite that not being the most solid evidence, it at least showed that they had a connection.

For the time being, David decided to stick with Thomas, since in the potentially dangerous forest they were in, it would be best to group up in order to survive.

"Okay... I'll be with you."

"Ah, back on earth, you didn't exactly talk like that, but I'm just happy to have you. Now, we're in a forest like this, so it would probably be best to find food, water, shelter, and heat. Got any ideas?"

"No."

"Ah, well, you've forgotten a lot, so I suppose it was dumb of me to ask, haha."

Rubbing his head, Thomas awkwardly laughed it off.

Once he finished, he decided to walk in a direction, and keep going until he found a place to stay.

After a while of walking, they came across a river.

David was thirsty, so he ran over, but Thomas held him back.

"Hey, even if it looks clean, it still might be really dangerous to drink from, so we should probably heat up the water first. First, we'll need a place to store the water, and then a fire to boil it."

David looked at Thomas with an expression of utter confusion.

Thomas felt weird getting a look like that from his brother, and quickly turned his head around, awkwardly laughing to avoid the feelings that came with being stared at.

"Why?"

"H-huh?"

"Why can I not drink?"

"Y'know, because of bacteria, and stuff."