introductions (chapter 3)

They both fell to the grass. Rory stumbled backwards, staring wide-eyed at the human form that'd crawled out of that thing, now standing on violently trembling legs, his head hanging low. He took a few steps away from the thing he'd escaped before slumping to his knees, trying to catch his breath.

Rory stayed still, preparing to stand up and run if he needed to. He didn't look or seem like the hostile kids he'd encountered before, though. In fact, nothing about him was familiar. Rory hadn't yet encountered someone dressed in color; his pants and shoes were black, but he donned a red sweater, a stark contrast to his strikingly pale skin. Short, straight black hair fell over his face, messy from his struggle.

He simply seemed like a innocent child, not unlike Rory, subjected to something he couldn't imagine or comprehend. He slowly approached the boy, crawling over the grass at a measured pace, as if trying not to scare off a fly he wanted to catch. He was probably unsettling to look at, and he didn't want to scare him off. He'd seen his own reflection briefly, in the rippling water as he drifted over the pond on the sailboat. A shadowy figure with two glowing white marbles for eyes. He felt like just a person, but he didn't look like one. Honestly, he quite resembled the very creatures out to catch and kill him. He didn't understand what he was, but that didn't really disconcert him. He just was.

But he didn't run. He just breathed, trying to relax his muscles, and a vague look of relief settled over his face at his own freedom.

"...Hello." Rory repeated, his voice hushed. He found it hard to talk over a quiet mumble. He wanted to be gentle, ensuring that he knew he didn't mean any harm. "I'm not gonna hurt you. Are you alright...?"

He didn't respond, locking eyes with Rory but only opening his mouth to draw in more ragged breaths. 

He blinked a few times, confused. "Do you talk?" He asked.

He hesitated for a moment before giving a single, barely perceptible shake of his head.

"Okay." Rory knew that wasn't entirely true. He'd heard his plea for help back there, but it was okay if he didn't want to talk. That was his choice, and a silent companion was better than none at all. Honestly, Rory didn't have much of a use for his voice, either.

"I don't either. Not much. You're the first person I've met in a while." Rory paused. "Do you know where you are?"

He shook his head. His breathing had slowed, and he'd regained his composure remarkably quickly. His face fell into a blank mask, perceptive eyes already beginning to survey the area for any threats. That was a good thing- he wasn't unused to danger, apparently, which would benefit them both moving forwards.

"Alright." He didn't know what else there was to say. It wasn't like he could ask questions, considering his vow of silence. He didn't even know what to call him, but he didn't care. It was refreshing to finally find something that wasn't out to kill him. "...Maybe we should stick together. It's dangerous out here."

Just as he said that, the sound of crunching footsteps pierced the cool night air, disrupting the thick silence. Multiple pairs of feet, stomping through the forest and towards their clearing at a rapid pace. Both of their heads instinctively snapped towards the noise. Simon's muscles tensed.