Neteyam nodded and let out a call, not as graceful as Nani'ite made it seem. She giggled to herself, quickly covering her mouth.

"What?" He asked her, embarrassed.

"You're not doing it right, like this" she proceeded to show him again the same noise slowly. Neteyam tried once again, causing one of the Ilu's to swim off quickly.

"No, you skxawng," she sighed and began to get frustrated, "you're too loud. You're calling Ilu, not one of your sky birds."

"Ikrans." Neteyam corrected her quietly looking down at the water below him.

Nani'ite side eyed him and turned towards the boy, placing a hand around his neck. Not roughly, but it startled Neteyam, causing his eyes to widen. The first touch, he thought. This was the first touch he's gotten from this girl, and she already is trying to kill him.

"Try again." Nani said softly, close enough to the boy's ear to whisper.

Neteyam was tense, and Nani could feel that under her hand. He tried once more, this time getting closer to the correct sound.

"From here," Nani rested her other hand on his upper stomach. Neteyam began to blush, he glanced over at her quickly and softly smiled before trying once more.

"Perfect," Nani said, taking her hands off of him and backing away, "again."

Neteyam called out again, causing an Ilu to swim right up to him. He laughed and smiled, petting the Ilu on top of its head.

"Now I make the bond?" He eagerly asked.

"Gently," she warned, "feel him first. Swim slowly, or you'll fall right off."

Neteyam straddled the Ilu and made the bond, he wanted to take off, but he figured if he wanted to get on Nani's good side then he would have to impress her. He strapped his hand tightly and breathed slowly, glancing back over at Nani. Go on she nodded towards him, crossing her arms.

Just like that Neteyam took off under water and fell off after 5 seconds. Nani laughed to herself and turned to walk back to the sand, she watched the others teaching their students and eventually Neteyam swim his way back to shore.

"Hey!" He called as he walked off the ocean, "not too bad for my first time, right?"

"You have a lot to learn, forest boy." Nani glanced up at him and back at the water.

"You will teach me, right?" Neteyam said innocently, taking a seat right next to her.

Nani sighed and scooted away from the boy, "I taught you what you needed to know. I say go slow; you go fast. I don't know what to tell you Nete- Ne-Neya-"

"Neteyam," he corrected her, a saddened look washed over his face. Neteyam was shy around Nani'ite. He was generally a quiet person, but Nani made him feel even more shy. Her presence was a force to be reckoned with. And although Neteyam usually never cared what others thought and had the confidence of his father, he found Nani very attractive. Making his desire for her approval very strong.

"I will see you tomorrow, Neteyam." Nani stood up, dusted the sand off then made her way off the beach and to her family's pod.

Nani felt a little bad for forgetting the boy's name, even if she only met him a day ago. She didn't mean to come off so mean, she just had a lot on her plate to juggle. Being the eldest of the leader's children meant a lot of work for her, and the last thing she wanted to be bothered with was the Sully family and their bizarre idea of becoming Metkayina.

A little after sunset, Nani heard her siblings come into the family's home.

"Nani?" She heard her sister call before entering her room, "why did you run off so early?"

"Who else was to help with dinner, Reya?" Nani responded.

"Mom and dad said we were off all other duties today to help the Sully family." Reya said, "Neteyam is still out there, you could've at least stayed and tried to help him practice!"

"I told him everything he needed to know, Tsireya" Nani sighed and turned away from her sister.

"Clearly not enough! It took him hours to get it down, he wouldn't take advice from any of us."

Nani didn't respond to her sister.

"Your duty is to serve the people of Metkayina."

"They are not Metkayina!" Nani'ite quickly turned and faced Reya, only inches away but she hovered over her younger sister.

"They will be! This is their home now Nani'ite. They left everything they know behind. Please, try to be more welcoming." Tsireya spoke softly, causing Nani's heart to soften just a little.

Her little sister, her caring and gracious little sister, she thought.

"I will try to be more welcoming." Nani spoke softly and bit her cheek.

"Yay! Thank you thank you thank you" Reya quickly hugged her sister, causing Nani to laugh.

"So, I like one of the boys." Reya blushed.

"Get out of my room, child." Nani chuckled, pushing her sister out. Her sister, only 15, way too young to be thinking about boys.

Authors Note: Nani is lowkey a bitch but don't worry y'all!! She'll be in her soft girl era soon <3