Chapter 28: Bitter Cold

As Evie and Kin leapt through the gaping hole in the castle wall, Soul smacked Ty and turned to face their opponents. "We'll take Chien-Pao and Wo-Chien."

Sighing, Ty shook his head. "I should've stayed in the other world."

Glancing at him, Soul frowned. "Don't you want to try and help everyone here?"

Ty looked at Soul in disbelief. Hearty laughter erupted from him as he took a fighting stance. "My reasons aren't quite that noble."

Spinning quickly, Ty fired a Sonic boom and quickly followed up with an Aqua Jet. Slamming into Wo-Chien, Ty grunted, the Pokémon was solid, it didn't even budge. Unrelenting, Ty unleased a barrage of Ice Punches.

Chien-Pao darted across the ground and leapt at Ty's exposed back. It's fangs glinting in the light, Chien-Pao twisted sideways, narrowly dodging Soul's Leaf Blade.

"Thanks, darling!" Ty called, rolling around Wo-Chien's Giga Drain.

"Don't call me, darling!" Yelled Soul, slithering away from Chien-Pao's counterattack.

An eerie moan filled the air. Wo-Chien rolled its head violently and an explosive Dark Pulse raced outwards from the Pokémon. Ty braced himself and rolled backwards with the blow, landing beside Soul, who had jumped away.

Wo-Chien shuffled closer, it's ominous calls a siren to its foes. Tiny seeds dropped from the Pokémon's body, burying into the ground. An instant later, countless thick vines burst from the ground, catching Ty and Soul in their grasp.

Ty yelled in pain as power was leeched from him. Wo-Chien glowed, the Leech Seed returning his strength. Better able to withstand the blow, Soul grit her teeth and flicked her tail. Her Leaf Blade cut clean through the vine, and she dropped to the ground. She raced to free Ty, but Chien-Pao came leaping in, its terrible fangs open wide.

Soul's gaze widened in fear. She tried to stop and fell backwards. Her flailing right arm was caught by Chien-Pao's Ice Fang and she squealed in pain. Rolling to her feet, Soul skipped backwards, cradling her arm. The wounded appendage hung limply, torn and bleeding a thick greeny liquid. A fierce chill shot through her arm and tormented her body.

Chien-Pao pushed the advantage, hurrying after its prey. Swinging it's Sacred Sword attack recklessly, Chien-Pao sliced through vines and cut deep grooves in the floor. Soul slithered between debris and vines, desperately fighting to put some space between them.

His anger growing, Ty encased his fists with ice and pressed hard against the vines. Ice raced down the vine, all the way to the roots and shattered it. Dropping to the ground, Ty landing cleanly before doing backwards handspring, intercepting Chien-Pao with a barrage of Sonic booms.

The Sonic booms hit stone floor, sending dust and debris into the air. Twisting, Soul flung backwards with a mighty Iron Tail. She sliced through the dust, but Chien-Pao was gone.

"Soul!" Ty screamed a warning. He had seen Chien-Pao skitter backwards and scamper up the vines. Now, it came racing downwards, its great fangs moments away from piercing Soul's body.

Time seemed to slow. Ty ran on all fours, desperation driving him faster than ever before. He couldn't let her die. He hadn't been able to say it yet. He still hadn't told her. His mind screamed at him, stop, don't, don't let her die! Too slow.

Chien-Pao screeched as it dove, its jaws open wide. Soul's face coloured in fear, she tried to run. Chien-Pao dropped faster, its jaws began to close and a yellow light flashed.

Squealing, Chien-Pao writhed in pain, fighting to escape. It hung deep in a thick web of electricity, thrown together between the vine stalks.

"If anyone dies today, it'll be me!" Arlin squeaked from one of the vines.

Soul stared at Arlin in wonder, oblivious to Ty racing closer. Dropping to his knees, Ty frantically checked her over, his eyes wide. His breathing was rapid, and his paws shook.

After a moment, Ty slumped backwards on his haunches and looked disbelievingly at Soul. "I thought I lost you."

A long, thin vine snaked outwards from Wo-Chien. It flittered low, dodging around the debris and striking forwards, it tore through Ty's back, punching a hole out through his chest.

Ty grunted as the vine was wrenched free. His expression turned painful, his paw reaching slowly for the wound. The colour drained from his face as he patted his bloodied chest. Looking dimly at Soul, he tried to call her name but could only gurgle as blood escaped past his lips. Toppling sideways, his head cracked against stone and the light faded from his eyes.

Soul could only stare as his body collapsed. Her jaw hanging open, she watched as blood pooled around his still body. She tried to reach for him but could not move. She tried to call his name, but the words caught in her throat. It was only Arlin's cry of anger that restored her senses.

"You!" Arlin screamed, his squeaky voice almost comical. The tiny Pokémon scampered towards Wo-Chien, quickly disappearing amongst the rubble.

Fury lit in her eyes and Soul rose slowly. Her tail glowed silver, taking on a steely appearance. Jumping, she spun, slamming the ever-squealing Chien-Pao into the ground where it lay still. Releasing her Iron Tail, she walked coolly towards Wo-Chien, rage coursing through her. Her eyes were pulled wide, and she almost forgot about her torn right arm.

Wo-Chien moaned and collapsed before she ever reached it. Her brows drawing together in confusion, she paused, watching closely. Then she saw him, Arlin, skittering over Wo-Chien's body, whimpering and fighting back tears. Arlin unleased countless Bug Bites upon Wo-Chien, until its strange eyes closed, and its moaning ceased.

A fresh wave of fury, at being denied her vengeance, coursed through her. Trembling, she fought back the tide of anger. Ty.

Turning, she choked back sobs and raced to his side. "Ty? Ty! No, no! You can't leave me! I, I'm not ready yet," her voice cracking, Soul wrapped her arms around his bloodied shoulders and pulled him close. "Please, don't leave me."

******

A/N

Ty: Aw, my coat, it's stained red...

I told you, Ty was dying for character development (see my general posts)

Soul: *incoherent screaming*

Kin: Dude, why?

Ty served his purpose.

Ty: I get to retire!

Grace: But, but we have to go home. I came to protect...

Rip

Evie: You really are a jerk.

Tell someone who cares. Ty, let's go have a drink

Ty: Later suckas! I'm dead!

Arlin: It should've been me. IT SHOULD'VE BEEN MEEEEE!