🖤 Yukisada × Shirogane (Summer Nights) 🖤

Start from the beginning

<<You usually have trouble believing that?>>.

<<It usually takes me years to accept something like that>>.

Shirogane turned to look Yuki in the eyes. He leaned in to leave a kiss on his cheek.

He noticed time slowed down when he was with Yuki. His daily worries evaporated - they were put aside, at least for that night. The world was sleeping, and they felt like they were the only two people left on earth. That corner of the world was theirs only.

Unfortunately, Shirogane knew that the morning would come, sooner or later. The blinding light of the sun would hurt their eyes again, the soft stars of the night would disappear, the flame of the bonfire would die out. And, maybe, Yuki's warmth would no longer be by his side.

Idate was not there physically, but the memory of him - the thought of him, and the shiver that induced - could maybe crawl into Shiro's sleepless mind, intruding upon their corner of the world. If there was something that he did not want and that he hated, it was the thought that Idate could intrude upon their corner of the world - and that it could disappear in a bat of an eye because of him.

<<I'm sorry, I'm still thinking about it, even as you're next to me>> he confessed.

<<Don't even mention it, Shiro. There's nothing wrong with that>> said Yuki.

Shirogane held him tightly: <<You can't even imagine how much I wanted to hear that>>.

Soon thereafter, both of them fell asleep.

Happily, they were laying down on a colorful towel. Yukisada also had the wise idea of bringing a soft blanket. He was aware of how much cold it could get during the night, even by the sea.

In the pasty darkness of sleep Shiro could maybe find peace. Or so he hoped.

<<Yuki... Yuki...>> he found himself whispering in his sleep.

Yuki was sleeping peacefully, he didn't notice.

Shirogane, not hearing an answer, started sobbing: <<Yuki... where are you?>>.

During the night, the tide got slightly higher, and the waves became more noisy. One of them clashed harshly against the shore, and Shiro woke up suddenly, shaken. He realized his cheeks were still wet. He passed a finger along his cheek, feeling his tears.

Doing so, his arm touched slightly someone next to him.

He turned: <<Yuki... you're still here>>.

Yuki was still asleep. He looked even more angelic than usual.

Shirogane caught himself smiling. For some reason, he was surprised.

He was surprised that Yuki was still there, next to him.

Slowly, he layed down again on the towel, wrapping softly his arm around Yuki. He got closer and leaned his head against his shoulders to be surrounded by his smell.

Gradually, the warmth coming from Yuki's body lulled him back to sleep.

Shiro did not dream again that night, and he didn't wake up until morning.

**

<<Yuki... you really stayed next to me for the entire night>>.

<<Yeah, Shiro, why wouldn't I?>>.

Shirogane was about to tear up again.

<<What is it, Shiro?>> Yuki whispered.

<<I'm happy>> he muttered: <<And I'm also sad. Because I know this moment will end. What will I do once you're not here anymore, Yuki?>>.

<<I want to stay right beside you, Shiro, no doubts. Even if we were to ever be set apart, it will always be against my will. There's no question about that, Shiro>>.

<<How can I do it on my own? How will I make it when you're not there anymore?>>.

<<Oh, Shiro>> Yuki stood a bit straighter, shifting so that he could look directly into Shiro's eyes: <<Shiro, you're way stronger than you make yourself out to be. I know that you can do it on your own, if that were ever to be necessary>>.

<<This is not true>> Shirogane complained.

<<You already faced so many challenges on your own, and you're still here. Alive and well>>.

<<I'm not doing well. I'm nothing but a patchwork of unhealed wounds. Physically and psychologically>>.

<<A real warrior is always covered in scars>>.

Shirogane bited his toungue. A part of him wanted to retort. But he soon realized that it would make that night end even sooner. Therefore, he shut up and tried to take in Yuki's words, despite how little believable they sounded.

Just empty reassurances. Was there anything else that could soothe him?

Just reassurances devoid of any meaning, bound to evaporate like fog.

And yet, for how devoid of any meaning they were, Shirogane always ended up reaching out for them.

Yukisada noticed of his brooding face: <<You said you can actually believe that I care for you, didn't you?>>.

<<Maybe. But that was last night, Yuki. I was talking about what I felt in that specific moment. Now I'm already questioning everything again. It's not your fault>> he sighed, looking down: <<I'm sorry>>.

<<You don't need to apologize. It's not easy, it needs time>>.

<<Could be. But I like trusting you. It's such a beautiful feeling... as long as it lasts>>.

<<Isn't it great to feel it, even if it's so fleeting?>>.

Shirogane was tormenting his fingers, silent. He sighed again: <<I guess so>>.

Yukisada didn't get too hanged up about it. Shirogane had no idea how he could always have that soft smile on his lips, especially after the most difficult conversations and the most traumatic events.

<<Would you like to go back home? I could make you a nice cup of cocoa>>.

<<Uh, but you don't have to...>>.

<<I insist>>.

Shirogane finally lifted up his head, his eyes wandering on his face for a moment. The morning light made his plumage look silvery. It reminded him of the moon they gazed in the sky the night before.

<<Thank you, Yuki>>.