VHS Tape (Gender Neutral Reader)

Start from the beginning

Y/N POV
It's been a few weeks since Sunny Day Jack entered my life, and he hasn't left. It's still hard to get used to having him around. Seemingly, I'm the only one who can see, hear, or touch him. Some days I feel like he's all in my imagination and I'm slowly losing my mind. But at the same time, he feels real. He's able to touch things and interact with objects, he's able to touch me. I don't know why I'm still so content with these circumstances. But, maybe all of this will pay off somehow.

I have also noticed someone else as well. This guy that's always on the bus at the same time as me. He's always staring at me whenever I look at him. It's kind of unnerving to be honest, but he's also kind of... Cute? But like, in a creepy-cute way, if that makes sense. Usually I take the bus alone, so Jack doesn't know about him yet. I'm sure it's nothing though, so there's no point in telling Jack about that guy.

I was brushing my teeth before bed. I got my job application to work at a gas station accepted a few days ago, and my first shift starts tomorrow. It wasn't my first choice, but my other applications got rejected. As I finished brushing my teeth, Jack walked past the bathroom, stopping when he saw me. "I'm glad you're starting to brush your teeth more often, dental hygiene is important!" Jack said, smiling at me. I admit, I had been struggling with that lately. But, Jack's encouragement made even the most mundane tasks seem more worthwhile.

"So, are you excited for your new job?" Jack asked. I let out a small sigh. "A little bit yeah, but I'm a bit nervous for some reason. I know it's just a gas station job, but I feel like I'm gonna screw something up." I replied in a slightly worried tone. Jack placed his hand on my cheek. "You're going to do great, sunshine. Do you want me to come to work with you? Nobody else will be able to see me!" He suggested. "Yeah, I would like that. Thanks Jack." I said, giving him a hug.

The next day, I was on the bus with Jack on my way to work. We sat next to each other, holding hands. It felt kind of weird, considering that nobody else was able to see him. But it was still nice nonetheless. I didn't see that weird guy anywhere, until the bus stopped. Low and behold, the guy got on the bus. He smiled at me like he usually did. I don't think the amount of teeth he has is normal, but I probably shouldn't judge people based on appearances. I wanted to talk to Jack, but to it other people it would just look like I was talking to myself.

Once the bus was at our stop, Jack and I got off the bus and walked the rest of the way to the gas station. After meeting my boss and chatting with him about how certain things in the gas station worked, I received my uniform and he left. I went into the bathroom to change, coming back to find Jack behind the counter. I was going to tell him off for being in an employees only area, but nobody would be able to see him anyway. Jack looked like he was lost in thought. "Hey, what's up? You're not acting like your usual self." I asked. Jack turned to look at me, a look of concern on his face. "That guy on the bus was staring at you. Do you know him?" He asked, before the gas station door opened.

John Doe POV
I walked into the gas station, noticing Y/N behind the counter. I guess they just started working here today. They look so cute in their uniform... "Welcome to the gas station, can I help you with anything?" Y/N asked. Their voice is so nice too! "No, I'm just looking around. What's your name?" I asked in reply, though I already knew their answer. "Oh, it's Y/N. What's yours?" They questioned. I prepared myself to answer. "It's uh, John Doe. Either John or Doe is fine. I was wondering if you we were free after work. I want to get to know you a little more..." I responded, my view shifting from them, to the man standing beside them. Wait... What?

How long has he been standing there? Why was he so close to Y/N? Why does he look like a clown, and why doesn't Y/N notice him? I stared at him, and he stared back. He had a blank, but angry expression on his face, before it turned into a look of pure confusion. Y/N seemed to notice my equally confused expression, turning to look back at the clown man, then looking back at me. "What are you staring at, Doe?" They asked, a bead of sweat on their forehead. I shook my head. I must be seeing things.