𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫: 𝟒

Start from the beginning

"I could say the same thing about you." Wednesday didn't understand why his replies were making her angry.

"You did and it gained nothing." the h/c male continue to stare at the night sky, not bothering to gaze at her.

Wednesday pursed her lips, feeling annoyed and befuddled by the sudden argument.

"What are you even doing here?" Wednesday inquired.

"My presence should not be your concerned," Y/n monotonously said, not answering her question.

The goth girl small scowl emerged into a full one. "Interesting reply coming from a half-witted individual."

"Amusing insult from a vacuous short girl. I would have thought you had something more in store. I estimated there isn't anything impressive from the new student." the h/c male countered.

Wednesday glared. "You estimated? You don't have a single indication of me."

"Correct." There was no inflection - no emotion - just a single flat syllable. She waited for a beat, but the male didn't seem interested in elaborating.

Wednesday would have originally walked away, yet she couldn't. She was, oddly enough, curious about him. It was strange. He was different from the rest. Unlike the other bright and lively students - he was the opposite. His voice gave the concept he lived a harsh life.

She eyed the silent male a couple of feet from her - coming up with a conclusion. The goth girl has been around most of the building, paying attention to most of the students. However, she had never seen him. Not once, until now.

"Y/n doesn't like being around people. Only a few individuals have seen him."

Wednesday's eyes briefly widened in realization. "You're Y/n, right?"

"I believe so," Y/n replied.

"That was a question."

"One I find no reason to answer."

The goth girl rose an eyebrow before narrowing her eyes at him. "You don't find a cause to answer a simple queried?"

"Should I?" Y/n finally turned to look at her.

Wednesday, unconsciously, took a step back the moment his gaze met hers. His face was scarred; a large scar running down his right eye. There was a small scar horizontally below his lip, and another small scar that ran down his left cheek.

Regardless of that, his eyes caught her undivided attention. They were dull - diminish of any light. Like his voice, there were apathetic, lacking any excitement. Even life.

In all her existence, Wednesday has never met an individual who lacked ebullience. Yet, the person in front of her was her contradiction.

"Are you going to answer?" Wednesday awaited his response.

Y/n gazed at her, causing the goth girl to be wary. His gaze was a puzzle she couldn't decipher - it didn't convey any emotions. She despised how she couldn't unravel the enigma he was.

"Yes."

"Was that so difficult to answer?"

"Perhaps." the word was clipped.

Wednesday calculated he didn't speak a lot. Although she preferred silence - especially towards those who couldn't stay silent - the lack of talking from Y/n irked her for some reason. Her curiosity was starting to become a foe.

"I take it this isn't your first time being here?" Wednesday stated rather than asking. Y/n simply turned his attention to the pillars that held the structure. "I presume after Enid explained you don't let people see you."

"Yes," Y/n answered stoically, turning to look at her.

"Yes as in this isn't your first time being here or my assumption?"

"Both."

"Your deficiency to elaborate is starting to astound," Wednesday said monotonously.

"I aim to please." the goth girl felt her annoyance dissolve at his sardonic reply. His answers were intriguing and straight to the point.

"How long have you been doing it?"

"Hmm?"

"circumvent everyone to hide." Wednesday clarified. "It must be a long time if it's the mid-term already."

"I guess." Y/n didn't deny or confirm anything. Instead, he returns his attention to the night sky. He didn't find a reason to explain anything to someone he just met. Well, someone who approached him.

"That was left cryptic."

The stoic male did not reply to her remark. With the exchange not continuing - he basked in the silence. He resumed his thoughts before they were adjourned by her presence.

"Are you going to divulge me?" Wednesday inquired, breaking the silence, and her irritation nourished once again by his lack of response. Her exasperation was elevated by her attentiveness toward him.

"You don't look the type to covet small talk." Y/n proclaimed.

"I don't do small talk." Wednesday maintained her scowl, responding in her icy tone.

"And yet here you are." his emotionless diss caused her scowl to sharpen. Before she could riposte, he continued.

"You aren't fond of being in this Academy. I believe you had alternative solutions - yet you couldn't decide. Your parents placed you here." Y/n revealed, much to the goth girl's astonishment who didn't show it.

Wednesday's sudden scowl shifted into a full glare. His abrupt statement was equivocal, causing her to stay more attentive to him.

"You don't know nothing of me." the obsidian eye color girl hissed.

Y/n remained stoic, unperturbed by her glare and harsh tone. "Perhaps you're right."

"What d-"

"I don't have the faintest idea of you and you don't have a clue about me," Y/n interjected. "And let's keep it that way. Things are better to stay sealed than exposed."

Wednesday's glare contorted into a bewildering state. "What are you trying to insinuate?"

There was no response from him yet, only his monotonous stare, a gaze that made her feel little. There was no hint suggesting an emotion was going through his eyes. They were blank and detached from any sentiment.

"In this Academy, have a recipient of your surroundings. You may never know what could go erroneous in the upcoming future." Y/n elucidated.

Concluding the conversation, the e/c male exhaled through his nose and turned around, heading toward the doors.

Wednesday, still puzzled by his last explanation, called out to him. "Wait, where are you going?"

"I believe I'm heading inside. My time came to an end - you can continue with your stroll, Addams." Y/n didn't pause in his tracks, and before she could call him out again, his presence was gone from the Pentagon.

Wednesday's current state was something even she couldn't comprehend. The turbulent emotions of confusion, irritation, and stun attacked her. This was new for her. And she hated it.

Despite her impassive look that returned, she conflicted with her emotions. The occurrence wasn't like that early. This all started the moment she spoke to him.

She could have been quick-witted and left, however, he intrigued her. His responses, detached from excitement, were sophisticated. They held no concern for their causes.

Curiosity became her biggest adversary today.

The most distinguishable appearance was his dull e/c eyes. She has seen eyes like his. Eyes of someone who wasn't afraid of the atrocities they committed. His stare was the root of his past life - one she held no knowledge of. They clenched secrets from escaping.

And the eyes of someone who robbed those of their lives.