Just a Filly

I blink, opening my eyes for the first time. My big brown eyes scan the room, and it takes them a moment to adjust to the low light. Where am I? After a while, I can see a bit better, but my eyes still aren't used to being open. Hay is scattered sparingly around my hooves, and the air is filled with dust. At first, I think I am all alone, but then I feel warm breath on my forehead. I start, scared. Then a warm, comforting scent fills my nostrils, and I know there's nothing to fear.

My mother leans down and nuzzles my ears, urging me to try standing. I look down at my lanky legs, and almost laugh. Stand? On these little twigs? I try to make a snorting sound, but it doesn't sound quite right. Wait, "twigs"? What's a "twig"? Taken by surprise, I look back down at my legs, and try to stretch them a little bit. In the dark, I can't quite tell what color they are, but they look dark, kind of like my mama's. I sigh, and move my legs so they are stretched out in front of me. My muscles tense, preparing for my feat.

"Look, the filly's trying to stand!" a little voice squeaks. I turn my head so fast that my skin tingles from the movement. On the other side of a tall wooden door, a child stands watching. Next to her, a gruff, hunched looking man stares on.

"Shh, be quiet!" he whispers, although to my sensitive ears, it sounds more like yelling. I cower lower, but my mother makes a small whinny, again encouraging me to stand. I grimace as I pull my front legs toward me, and apply pressure. Pushing, I gain a few inches, but before I can even feel accomplished, I flop back onto the floor. Mama looks at me with sympathy in her eyes, and I try again. This time, I try standing first with my hind legs, but again I fall to the floor.

I land on my back, and it takes a long second to roll back on to my stomach. I almost shriek as a pointy piece of straw pokes into my back, but the pain is gone almost as fast as it began.

I try standing again and again, but each time I land on the floor. I neigh with frustration. Why is this so hard? I regain my bearings and try again. I place my front legs in front of me, and push hard. Suddenly, I've gained multiple feet, and I am leaning on my front legs. Using my haunches, I push on my hind legs, and within seconds I am on all 4 feet. I'm standing! I whinny multiple times, spreading my excitement.

My mother looks down, and says, "Good job! I knew you could do it!" I open my mouth, trying to form words, but I just don't how she did that. I try again and again, but I just make a strange assortmant of sounds. Mama snorts, amused. I frown, how is this funny? 

Ignoring her, I look around at my surroundings. Now that I am so high off the ground, I can see so much more! Mama and I are enclosed in a large rectangular area. There is light wood up to a little past my head, but then it transform into metal green poles. It looks like the entire building is filled with similar looking stalls. I look to where the little girl was, but am surprised to see a tall man in her place. He wheres a light gray suit, at least what I make out to be gray, and his dark hair is neatly brushed. His small eyes bear into mine, and he speaks.

"It's a filly! A filly!" he roars, angry. I flinch at his harsh tone, and instinctively, I run for my mother. As I reach my leg forward, I stumble and drop to the ground with a thud. I whine, scared. My mother gives the man a scathing glare before turning and leaning down next to me. The angry man turns and stomps away, his heavy footfalls echoing through the building.