TWO ; SLEEP ALUDES ME

Zacznij od początku

After making sure the towel was folded properly, Matilda turned to the shower and pulled back the curtain. She immediately scowled.

Sitting in the tub was a large jar, made from silver glass, had several different metal clamps on the top. The insides of the jar contained a vulgar amount of goopy green and yellow ectoplasm, mimicking the appearance of slimey vomit. In the midst of the plasma was a ancient, yellowed, human skull. It was quite sinister looking if you weren't used to it - and if you weren't used to finding it in strange places, much like the shower.

Irritated with its presence, Matilda leaned down and picked the Skull in the Jar up. She held it level with her face, glaring at it almost amusedly.

"Naughty," She muttered. "Just waiting for one of us to walk in here nude. Bet you'd love that, ay?" The plasma glowed.

"That's almost worse than the time it was stuck in the oven for a week." Matilda heard Lockwood mutter behind her.

Matilda hummed, and set the Skull down on the towel. Then she turned back to the shower, and started the water, letting it warm up before she pulled the curtain back and pulled the spout up, causing the water to switch from the tap to the shower head. Matilda wiped her hand on her leggings as she turned around

Lockwood was staring at her, seeming slightly confused with her behavior.

"What are you playing at?" The younger brother said.

Matilda stayed nonchalant. "What."

"You haven't been this nice to me in two years." Lockwood said. "So, what are you getting at?"

Matilda stared at her brother for a moment, reluctant to even speak. But she sighed.

"You almost died last night, Anthony." Matilda said. "I mean...waking up this morning and finding that you weren't here, and then seeing the news..." Matilda crossed her arms and sighed once more. "It terrified me."

Lockwood stared at his sister, watching her, the way she had a slight saddened frown on her lips. "Really?" He wasn't sure he believed it.

Matilda nodded. "Yeah. You're my bloody brother. 'Course I was worried 'bout you."

Lockwood didn't say anything; he couldn't think of anything. So Matilda picked the Skull in the Jar back up and walked past her brother to the door, leaving the boy alone with his thoughts.

 So Matilda picked the Skull in the Jar back up and walked past her brother to the door, leaving the boy alone with his thoughts

Sleep Aludes Me

Sleep aludes me
because it is always
cold in my attic room.
Sleep aludes me
because I dream of
that coldness coming for me.
Sleep aludes me

Matilda sighed. "Sleep aludes me..." She rolled her eyes and threw her head back. "Just like the rest of this poem."

It was close to midnight. Matilda sat alone in the library, notebook in her lap, pen in her hand.