Chapter Five 𐮛 Blessed Mare

Start from the beginning

"Come, Gimli! We are gaining on them!" He shouts, but the dwarf glares in response, wiping sweat off his nose.

"I am wasted on cross-country. We dwarves are natural sprinters! Very dangerous over short distances," he pants, darting to them.

Legolas shared a brief look with [Y/n], frowning slightly before continuing to run.

Finally, they reached a hill that [Y/n] somewhat recognised. These lands belonged to Rohan, and she hoped that this place would give more forgiving terrain to run on, rather than the rocky and unstable hills of where they started. Legolas looks to her again and taps the side of his mouth with his finger, which confused her. She narrows her eyes but, widens them when she realised that he must have been pointing out some food residue on her face. She furiously wiped at them in embarrassment, wishing he hadn't seen that. Darn elf! He's smirking! She glowers, and follows him to Aragorn.

"Rohan. Home of the Horse-lords. There's something strange at work here. Some evil gives speed to these creatures. Sets its will against us," Aragorn comments, and [Y/n] listens to him carefully. He's right. It is strange work. Rohan is a well guarded place — why would Orc's come here in risk of being  attacked by the men of Rohan? She's read their great stories, how they had won wars on horseback, and ploughed through Orcs like they were nothing but ants in the past. Coming here would be a death sentence for enemies.

Legolas goes ahead to look over the horizon, observing something in the distance. She squints her eyes to see what he was looking at, and sure enough, there was a cloud of dust stirring in the air far out ahead of them... it was making its way to a distant building, that she did not recognise.

"Legolas! What do your elf eyes see?"

"The Uruks turn northeast." He takes a step further, his face contorting into terror. "They're taking the Hobbits to Isengard!" He cries, and this strikes [Y/n] with equal horror.

"Saruman..." Aragorn snarls, clenching his fists till his knuckles turned white.

"They're doomed!" [Y/n] gasps, covering her hanging mouth.

"Not yet! We still have time! Come! We must catch them before it's too late!" Aragorn flees, and everyone follows, a newfound sense of panic taking over them all.

Isengard used to be a beautiful tower surrounded by wood and greens, but the fact [Y/n] couldn't even recognise it anymore even from a far distance showed the length of Saruman's evil influence. The land she witnessed had gone rotten with dead grass and stumps of once great trees.

Their pursuit didn't end, even when dusk had settled in and the hot sun had diminished, now replaced with a merciless cold that clouded their breaths and clung to their sweat like frost.

"Keep breathing. That's the key. Breathe," Gimli wheezes to himself and [Y/n] couldn't agree more.

"They run as if the very whips of their masters were behind them," Legolas whispers.

"Well, of course! We are- ARGH!" she begins, but starts coughing violently. She couldn't even find the strength to continue her sentence after that, as the coughing was enough to leave her wheezing and gasping for air. Legolas chuckles audibly, and if she had time, she would have flogged him with a pebble.

The night had slowly turned into dawn, painting the skies a fiery orange and for some reason, this disturbed Legolas visibly, who paused to look upon it with a glare of dread. [Y/n] stopped with him, watching him peer at the horizon solemnly. He turns to her briefly, but looks to the ground quickly after with his eyes shut.

"A red sun rises. Blood has been spilled this night," he sighs, then continues his trek at a high speed, leaving [Y/n] in shock.

"Is this true?!" She gasps, running after him. He doesn't respond, too grim to utter another word. Tears brim at her eyes and she finds herself quickening her pace, her heart pounding in pain for her hobbit friends.