3. Ingo

Ney'ite was awoken by a hand on her arm, she jolted awake, instinctively reaching for the blade tethered to her thigh.

When she saw Tuk's face grinning down at her, she relieved.

"Definitely a warrior." A voice chuckled.

Ney'ite glanced up to see Neteyam across from her, he was helping Neytiri prepare something to eat.

As she looked around more, she saw that it was dark outside, the evening had already arrived.

"Did you sleep well?" Tuk asked, playing with a braid in her hair.

Ney'ite nodded, still slightly disassociated.

It was then three more figures walked into the room. A man, a boy and a girl.

Ney'ite stood up, awaiting the awkward encounter.

"Ney'ite." The man made the 'I see you' gesture. She double took as she saw his four fingers, the alien hands. "I am Jake Sully. Neytiri told me you were sent by the Mangkwan to protect us, although you're a little younger than I expected." He chuckled slightly, glancing at his mate.

"I told you she was young," Neytiri said, not looking up from the clam in her hand, "But Eywa always knows the right way."

"I'm sorry what's happening?" The boy questioned, a confused grimace on his face, he and the girl had the same hands as their Dad. "Why is there a stranger in our house?"

"I would like to know the same." The girl added.

"I told you Kiri!" Tuk exclaimed, "Ney'ite is here to protect us."

Kiri frowned. "And how old are you Ney'ite?"

Ney'ite paused. "Uh, fifteen."

The boy scoffed. "She's the same age as Neteyam! How will she protect us?!"

Neteyam rolled his eyes. "Shut it skxawng. She was sent by Eywa."

Kiri looked more intrigued. "You were?"

Ney'ite nodded slowly.

"Eywa sends people now?" The boy quizzed, looking more confused.

Jake gave him a disapproving look before crouching down next to Neytiri to help her.

Tuk grabbed Ney'ite's arm, standing next to her. "Well I like you Ney'ite. Ignore Lo'ak."

Ney'ite smiled. "Thanks Tuk."

"I never said I didn't like her." Lo'ak grumbled.

Neteyam glanced at Ney'ite, smiling apologetically for his family. She grinned back, shrugging.

Neytiri raised her eyebrows, shaking her head with a small smile. She'd seen their small exchange.

Ney'ite offered to help with the preparation of dinner, but they'd already finished.

She ate with them all, witnessing in awe what a normal family was like. They laughed, talked about their days in the sea, exchanged little jabs of mockery at each other. There was so much love that they acted was just completely normal.

At home, Ney'ite only lived with her Dad, and she didn't speak with him much about anything interesting. Only her progress in training, or her mistakes, or the clan. She'd never had this kind of experience, and it broke her heart a little.

The doubt about this new situation was slowly slipping away.

"So, Ney'ite. Are you going to join the others for learning the way of water tomorrow?" Jake asked, glancing across at her.