2. Metkayina

Ney'ite had been flying for a very long time, dawn was already approaching, and she had nearly fallen asleep riding on Ingo. Her eyes were heavy and her legs were more relaxed, but she forced herself to stay awake.

As the sun finally began to rise, making the ocean beneath her sparkle, Ney'ite caught sight of the Metkayina tribe's home.

She suddenly felt worried she would be rejected as soon as she landed her ikran, what if they didn't believe her? Would strange eyes be enough to convince them of Eywa's choice?

Ingo swooped down closer to the surface of the water, slowing as they reached the dock. Metkayina people had already begun to gather, having caught sight of the ikran approaching them.

Ney'ite swallowed as Ingo landed, slowly sliding off her ikran and glancing between the confused Ocean Na'vi faces. Their skin was lighter than her's, their tales thicker and without a fur tuft.

She felt like she stood out.

"Who are you?" A voice questioned. The chief of the Metkayina stepped forward with his mate, holding a staff.

Ney'ite made the 'I see you' gesture, bowing her head. "My name is Ney'ite te Tírey Mayko'ite."

"I am Tonowari," he gestured to the woman beside him. "This is my mate, Ronal. We rule the Metkayina. Why are you here?"

Ney'ite felt anxious but she kept her composure. "I was sent by my clan to protect the family of Toruk Mak'to."

A female Na'vi suddenly stepped through the people, but she wasn't like the rest. Her eyes were a piercing yellow, her skin dark blue like Ney'ite's. She was forest Na'vi, and Ney'ite assumed she was Toruk Mak'to's mate.

"Protect us?!" The woman exclaimed, her eyes fiery, "You are only a child you-"

She stopped suddenly, walking closer to Ney'ite with a frown.

Ronal tried to step in. "Neytiri, maybe we should-"

She cut off the chief's mate. "-Wait, Ronal she- look at her eyes."

Neytiri held Ney'ite's chin and gently turned her face to show Tonowari and Ronal.

They looked as if they'd seen a ghost, exchanging a glance.

Neytiri released Ney'ite. "Are you Omitakaya?"

Ney'ite held onto Ingo, her reminder of home. This strange situation she'd been thrown into was much scarier she expected. And she hadn't slept in nearly a day. "No, I'm Mangkwan."

"Who sent you?" Neytiri asked.

Ney'ite hesitated, looking down at the wood beneath her feet. "My clan leaders, they said they had a message from Eywa. I was sent here to protect your family. I don't know what from, I don't know why it was me."

Neytiri stared at her. "I've heard of this before, but I never thought I'd see it. You have the eyes of Eywa."

Ney'ite nodded.

Ronal stepped forward, standing next to Neytiri. "You are welcome here, your ikran can stay with the others, and you can stay-"

"-With us." Neytiri interjected. "If Eywa sent you to protect us, we will protect you in turn."

"Very well." Ronal said, "Take her to your home, I'm sure she's very tired."

————————————————————

"Mum! Mum!" A small forest Na'vi came running up to Neytiri as she led Ney'ite around the tribe's homes.

"Tuk! Where are your brothers and sister?"