Chapter 2: Unanticipated Arrivals

I would rather call myself insane than actually believe a truth that is lot more insane.

I try to sit but the damp dress that is sticking on my skin is heavy enough to push my weight down.

"Ye know that the thunderstorm made us delay the freight. They said that they saw mermaids by the sea," the same group of people continues speaking. The person who claimed the year to be 1900 is the speaker this time.

Firstly, I am in a ship. And secondly, who the hell spreads rumours about seeing mermaids these days?
It's not the 19th anymore.

"Mermaids? What are ye talking about?" An unfamiliar voice cries out and I catch the sound of a collision of hands. He clapped.

"They said that at the dead of night the mermaid came and took away all the possessions they hold dear,"

The voice of the aged man gruffly says to his other associates as if telling stories to young kids.

"What are those belongings that they lost?" A curious voice asks. By his tone I assume he isn't older than fifteen.

"Their mirrors, hair pins, hair combs and the most important possession- the handkerchiefs they got from the royal family,"

These things are important to them? And which royal family are these gentlemen talking about?

"Handkerchief! The prince has stepped on that one. How can they lose such treasure!" Steeped on it? A treasure? I really need to check my ears.

"Mermaids have hair?" Someone asks and I try my best to suppress a laugh.

"No, why would they own hair? They are inherently fishes," the old man confidently lets the curious young men know. I hope he doesn't believe anything the old man says because his brain has rusted due to age. "They don't even have legs," He adds.

"They have legs, but they look like a tail," the younger man argues while I wave away a bee hovering over my face. "Then why would they take the hair combs?" That's a good question though?

"Perhaps to brush their scales," that's an amazing answer and despite trying too hard I end up laughing, loudly.

"Did ye heard it?" A man asks in an alert tone more like a whisper.

"No! they told me all this. I told ye I didn't encounter such creature," the old man defensively answer, and I look around for possible escape. They will catch me soon.

"That's not it. Did ye heard the laugh of a lady?" The man asks again this time more alert.

"Did ye?"

Oh, my Almighty! They're going to catch me.

No one answers and the tension increases in my heart.

"Did ye heard or not?"

I take a deep breath and lend all the courage I can from the cold gusty wind.

I try to deepen my voice by mimicking the thickness of a male vocal cord and answer, "No, we didn't" loudly.

"Then am I the only one who heard?" He mumbles and continues the conversation. I thought I'll get caught. But they are really fool for my own good.

I keep my ears perk up and keep listening to their conversation. Soon my eyes fall close, and I drift away.

"Ye listening?" Someone sprinkles water on my face taking opportunity of my unconscious mind.

I fell asleep? Again?

"Is this lady alive?" A voice that recently got familiar asks. His voice concerned.

"Certainly. Ye don't see her chest rising and falling?" Annoyance dripping from the voice of the old man asks.

"Why would you stare at a lady's chest? Such behaviour is not gentlemanly," someone taught the kid well. I open my eyes and their standing figure stares down at me the way you study an Amoeba under microscope.

When I stare back, I find all of them wearing dusty brown trousers tucked inside the leather boots that are wrapped tightly around their calf. Excluding the young fellow and another merchant, the old man and the man standing beside his left who has a deep cut on his face is wearing a knee length linen smock with various stains whereas the other two are wearing an open jacket over their smocks and a wide brimmed straw hat.

Conclusion is that they are wearing costumes just like me. I don't want to believe the alternative possibilities.

"I was perceiving if she's breathing," the old man blushes a little and mumbles.