Chapter 7 ~ Caught red handed.

(The prideful rewrite is out and is on my profile.)

Turning around, the two of you were met with the silver statue.

"Cornelius," Basil hissed. "You were.. the last person, i thought to blame," the statue in front of you had a hushed, angered tone. "Yet here we are." Basil had an iron grip on your wrist, pulling you behind him. "What do you want?" the statue in white spoke through gritted teeth. "I do believe Malak.. and by extension Frederick, were quite clear." Basil had his eyes narrowed. "I was not aware you were so fond of Frederick now, Cornelius." The other statue looked rather offended. "Truly, stooping this low already, Basil?" He straightened his back, when another voice called.

"Mind enlightening me on... all this."

At the end of the hall stood Frederick, arms crossed on his chest. His eyes  went over your form, and he sighed. "No need, i do believe i understand." The leader looked at Basil. "Hand me the peasant, if you please, gentlemen." Both Basil and Cornelius backed away from you, begrudgingly. You got prepared to run, but Frederick easily cut you off. "There is no need, i simply wish to bargain." The two other statues shared a look as Frederick smiled. "Come now, no need to be so frightened." He bowed lightly, offering you his arm. Basil opened his mouth to speak, to protest, but he shut it again. It wasn't anger, yet something else. You took Frederick's arm, having no other option. "I assume there are no objections?" This time Cornelius spoke up. "Malak has expressly forbidden us from keeping peasants, they steal our treasures and dirty our floors." Frederick chuckled. "I understand, yes. But come now, allowing one to stay with us will not be a problem." He looked at Cornelius.

"I have plans for her."

With those words, the statue led you towards a living room, setting you down on the couch. Basil sat down next to you, and Cornelius leaned on the wall. "I have a bargain to offer, a choice for you to make." You nervously looked at the tall gold statue. "Give up your devotion to Bierce, give up life, and we shall make this realm your new home." Cornelius furrowed his eyebrows. "You cannot make that choice so easily, Malak says we-"

Frederick raised his hand. "Think of it. She has beaten Malak at every turn so far, we are one of the most formidable opponents, yet she nearly had us cornered if it wasn't for... i assume it was Karl. Malak wants her to remain here in his grasp. If she should stay here, that wish is fulfilled." His eyes darted back to you. "I do recommend you take this bargain. Your device is gone, therefore your connection to Bierce has been severed. You are unfortunately powerless." You thought about it, head bowed as to not show your face. You hated the idea of not getting the life you had fought for, but neither did you want to suffer. "Alright." Sounded your defeated tone. Frederick seemed satisfied. "A rather wise choice, peasants should take more of an example to you." You almost thought he was mocking you, until you saw the sincere look in his eyes. Despite all the horror he and the other statues had caused, there was almost a naivety.

You could feel the three pair of empty eyes boring into you, as you moved not even a muscle. "Inform Karl of this development, Basil, he would be delighted to know." Basil stood up, placing his hand on your head. "Welcome to the family." Despite the words, they sounded anything but friendly. No matter what you thought, Basil was hard to understand, given his odd behavior.  Cornelius only looked offended, muttering under his breath about disgraces as he left after Basil. Frederick still stood with that same smile. "Now, with all that settled.."

"How about you take me up on my previous offer, i am so curious of the realm of the living i have long since departed from."