Chapter 1

"Nikolai! And don't you forget it!" The scruffy man huffed back at me as he made his prompt leave. The transaction was not supposed to take place that way; fortunately, I am extremely proficient when it comes to having my way. But here it is! I've acquired it! The gem shimmered in the mid-afternoon sun as the rays reflected off its purple hue.

A tug of my sleeve brought me back into reality as Claire grabbed my free hand and pulled me toward her. "You of all people know that the deal would have been much smoother had you just been patient." Her mouth curled at the end as the twitch of a mocking smile began to form on her face.

"Patience is a virtue of which I do not possess, however. Sometimes it is necessary, you're right. It could have been handled better." The quaint little café turned out to be perfect. The deal went well, and I get to enjoy coffee with my wife. Pulling her into a short embrace we enter the store and look for a table to sit.

The small store felt cosy to be in. A lantern hung from the ceiling giving the room a warm orange glow accompanied by the sunlight that lazily seeped in, the small little booths dotted through the partially populated space. I gestured to Claire to take a seat and sat opposite her. she gazed around the room seemingly oblivious to everything happening around us. It was easy for her to see the good in people, were I able to do the same? would it make me a better person? Her trusting that the world will be a better place keeps me hopeful for the day that it happens.

"This place is gorgeous," she said "It reminds me of home. This is definitely going on our regulars list Nick."

"We haven't even tasted the coffee yet!

"This is the kind of place that you needn't order anything to enjoy."

Shortly a small man in a shabby black suit approached the table. He stood proudly, his wild brown hair looked as though he had tried to comb it, however you could clearly see that 'Bad hair day' was in his genes. He gave a short grin, his facial expression showing signs of tiredness as he says:

"My name's Quintin, how are you on this afternoon? What can I get for you?"

"I'm well, just a coffee, black, two sugars. thanks." Claire said, giving him a small smile.

"I'll have the same, although only one sugar for me" I reply.

"You always were the more bitter one." she laughed as the waiter nodded and made his way back to the kitchen.

"So, what are our plans from here darling? I think we retire back to the house; we'll still have enough daylight; we might even make it to the pond before dark."

"That sounds like a good idea. Home is for the best. I'm quite tired, I could do with some rest, we've been out all day." The scent of the warm coffee lingered through the room as Quintin approached the table. "Here you are!" he said as he placed the two cups down beside us. Claire smiled back and took the cup, with one small sip her eyes lit up. "This was definitely worth it." She sang, just like that, on the list it went.

We finally took our leave, exiting the little café. People disseminated out of different buildings finally finishing their day. Carriages and all-sorts roamed through 'The Glorious City of Ashfall.' The city itself was a marvel to behold, many felt protection within its walls. For myself that was never so much the case. The beautiful scenery of the capital city made you feel secure, the large stone walls surrounding the otherwise open city, it was unique in such a way that no matter where you looked something could always pull your intrigue, not only that but the different stalls and shops of which contained anything anyone could ever need; although being such a populated place. It was never my thing. The forests were my haven. People who knew the area were safe enough, though the rumours which made their way through the lands were more than enough to keep people away. Some even believe a dragon once lived there, though it's simply not plausible given how long they have been gone. Nobody has seen a dragon in hundreds of years.