Chapter 5- A Warning

I opened my eyes, and I was in a place devoid of all color, life, and material. All it was was a dark space that seemed endless. I heard footsteps, and I whirled around to see what it was.

It was a short girl, with short purple unevenly cut hair, golden circular glasses, and dark skin. She was definitely not a character in the books.

"Who are you?" I asked, my voice echoing a million times in whatever sort of chamber I was in.

"I'm your watcher," the strange girl responded.

"Why are you watching me?" I asked, creeped out.

"I am to ensure your safety. I have come to you to warn you that-" She was cut off, a dark smoke suddenly wafting between the two of us. "Crap!" She yelled. "Listen, I will find a way to contact you. Until then, stay safe, and never be alone!" She said, as she disappeared from view. A cold pair of hands reached out to grab my face, and I gasped in horror.

I burst upright in my bed, panting and gasping for air. I felt a shiver run down my spine. Whatever was happening was definitely not in the books, and I had to get to the bottom of all this.

I looked up, and saw Hermione standing with a glass of water, poised to dump. She stared at me nervously, and said, "You weren't waking up so..."

"...you thought it would be best to soak me?" I finished for her. Hermione gave me an apologetic shrug.
"Want to get ready and then head down for breakfast? You can tell me about your dream, it seemed really vivid," Hermione suggested. I nodded, and then changed into my uniform.

————

"Did you see the person who grabbed you?" Hermione asked as we both sat down across from Ron and Harry. I was still shaken from the dream, and I shook my head.

"What happened Y/n? Are you alright?" Harry asked, concerned about me.

I sighed. "No. I had a really bad nightmare."

"Were spiders chasing you or something?" Ron asked fearfully. Hermione threw him a look of annoyance.

"No Ron, there were not any spiders," I said. I wanted to tell the trio about everything, but I also felt it was way too early for them to know anything. It was only our first day of school.

"Well, if it makes you feel any better, my scar did hurt a little at the feast last night?" Harry said, trying to cheer me up. It worked, because I laughed. Not at the fact he hurt, but at the fact of the stupidity of his comment. Harry smiled at me. "I'm glad that that made you happy- or at least I think?"

I laughed some more, and Harry joined. I realized full well that Harry was indeed extremely awkward, but he made me happy. Ron and Hermione had watched the exchange, and they were clearly confused, but happy that I had cheered up.

————

The trio and I headed down to our first class, Potions, with Professor Snape. I was nervous to finally meet Snape, and feel the wrath of his venomous comments and scornful stares. I had come prepared as well, as I'd read the entire potions textbook multiple times, and were prepared for whatever question he threw at me.

Isat at a table with Harry, and Ron and Hermione took the table next to mine. Just after I sat down, Professor Snape walked into the classroom. His dark black robes swayed with the fierceness of his walk.

I sucked in a breath as I watched yet another scene from Harry Potter unfold in front of me. Only this time, I would try and save Harry from Snape's wrath by being the distracting one instead.

Snape began his introduction monologue. "There will be no foolish wand-waving or silly incantations in this class. As such, I don't expect many of you to appreciate the subtle science and exact art that is potion-making. However, for those select few..." he cast a glance over at Malfoy, who pridefully smirked. I rolled my eyes at him, and Snape continued, "...Who possess, the predisposition... I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory, and even put a stopper in death." This was the part where Harry was going to get caught scribbling, and I didn't want that to happen.

So, to make Snape focus on me instead, I began to manically giggle. Everyone in the classroom turned to look at me and some gave me looks of pity as Snape gave his attention to the source of the disruption, me. "Then again, maybe some of you have come to Hogwarts in possession of abilities so formidable that you feel confident enough to not pay attention!" Snape began walking towards me, and my heart began to race in fear. "Is something funny, Ms. L/n?" Snape asked with the scariest tone I had ever heard.

I gulped, wanting to undo everything I had just done. I was already too deep in the act of saving Harry though, so I decided to follow through. I snickered and said, "Well Professor Snape, if you must know..." A Slytherin girl looked at me directly in the eye, shaking her head to tell me it wasn't worth it. I swallowed hard, before finishing my sentence. "...you look...well...emo." All the students looked at me in shock. Snape was even shocked too, as I, a first year, had just outright insulted him to his face.

He took a moment to regain his composure before responding in a sarcastic tone with, "Well, you certainly seem like you're smart, Ms. L/n." This was it. The moment he would fire a round of questions at me. "Tell me, what would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood? Where would you look if I asked you to find me a bezoar? What is the difference between monkshood and wolfsbane?" He asked. I took a deep breath, about to respond when he said, "It seems like you don't know anything." Malfoy snickered, and I shot a glare at him. "Because of your incompetence, 10 points from-"

"Apologies Professor, but you never even gave me a chance to answer," I cut in. "Asphodel and Wormwood make a sleeping potion so powerful it is known as the Draught of the Living Death, a Bezoar is a stone taken from the stomach of a goat and it will save you from most poisons. As for Monkshood and Wolfsbane, they are the same plant which also goes by the name of Aconite," I answered. Snape seemed surprised again. All the students at this point were trying to process what I had just done, so they stared at me in complete shock and silence.

"Well, why aren't you writing this down?" Professor Snape snapped at the students. Everyone grabbed their quills and began copying down what I had said. Snape looked at me, and for a moment he seemed to be looking at me fondly before his face quickly settled back to its comfortable and unhappy position. "Ms. L/n, although I do not enjoy that you interrupted my class and insulted me, I am pleased that you studied beforehand and proved your competence. And...I apologize for implying that you have the wits of a toad." Holy shit. I had not only saved Harry and stood up to Snape, I had gotten the arse to apologize to me!

"For your display of bravery and intelligence, I will award 10 points to Gryffindor," Snape said, before turning on his heel and walling over to another student. I grinned, pleased at how well everything had gone. I turned to Harry, who was staring at me with a look of bewilderment and admiration.

"You are damn amazing y/n."