13: Please Don't Adopt Me

Third Person POV

Mr. Aizawa quieted them all down with a flash of his red eyes.

"This is related to the pro-hero draft picks that I mentioned the last time we were in class together. Normally students don't have to worry about the draft yet — not until their second or third year actually — but your class is different. In fact, by extending offers to first years like you, heroes are essentially investing in your potential. Any offers can be rescinded if their interest in you dies down before graduation."

Mineta banged the desk with his fist. "Stupid, selfish adults."

"So what you're saying is," Hagakure said. "We still have to prove ourselves even after we're recruited."

"Correct. Now. Here are the totals for those of you who got offers."

A screen popped up behind Mr. Aizawa.

Y/N L/N: 6,234

Todoroki: 4,342

Iida: 3,672

Bakugo: 1,983

The rest were significantly lower.

Y/N's lips parted slightly at the numbers.

6,234? Jesus.

"In the past it's been more spread out. But there's a pretty big difference this time." Mr. Aizawa said.

Yaoyorozu, who was sitting next to Todoroki, turned to congratulate him.

"That's amazing! You must be proud."

"These offers are probably because of my father."

Uraraka was happily shaking Iida by his shoulders.

"People want us!" She squealed.

Mineta had somehow snuck his way over to Y/N's desk, and was staring at her from his spot on the ground - practically drooling

"So many people want you Y/N. And I know why. Your face and body are—"

"Fuck off." She snapped, flipping him off.

That shut him up quickly, and he slunk back to his desk sadly.

"Despite these results, you'll all be interning with pros, got it? Even those who didn't get any offers."

Midoriya perked up a little.

"Oh! So, we're all interning?"

"Yes. You already got to experience combat with real villains during the attack on the USJ facility. But it'll still be helpful to see pros at work. Up close and personal in the field, firsthand."

"Which is why we need hero names!" Sato said.

"These hero names are most likely temporary, but choose wisely otherwise—"

The door slid open.

"—you'll have hell to pay later!"

Midnight had entered the room, flashing a flirtatious smile at everyone.

Mineta's sadness vanished with no trace.

Y/N lightly smacked the back of Kaminari's head to break his stare.

"You're a little young for her," she whispered.

"What you pick today could be your codename for life. You better be careful, or you'll be stuck with something utterly indecent." Midnight continued.

"Yeah, she's right. Midnight is going to have final approval over your names." Mr. Aizawa said, before pulling out his yellow sleeping bag. "The name you give yourself is important. It helps reinforce your image and the kind of hero you want to be in the future. A codename tells people exactly what you represent. Take All Might, for example."