xii. the king is dead

[a/n: italicized text indicates high valyrian dialogue]

KING VISERYS TARGARYEN DIED THAT NIGHT. One of the servant boys found him in his chambers and ran directly to Queen Alicent. When given the news of her husband, she immediately ordered his body be left alone, and his chamber doors be locked, and she posted two knights of the Kingsguard outside of his doors, telling them to tell people the king wishes not to be disturbed.

Then she gathered her Green Council.

They patiently played the game while Viserys was alive, "respecting" his decision to name Rhaenyra his heir and keep Rhaenyra his heir even after he had a true-born son. But now that he was dead, Alicent saw the opportunity to get what she wanted. Her son on the Iron Throne. But there were a few problems.

Rhaenyra still had supporters in King's Landing. They would need to be dealt with. The first blow came to Lord Beesbury, who expressed during the council meeting that what they were talking about was treason. Viserys named Rhaenyra his heir and never wavered. The great houses all swore fealty to her, and putting Aegon on the throne is treason. He said he wouldn't take part in it.

Criston Cole swiftly killed him.

Ser Harold Westerling, Commander of the Kingsguard also said he would not take place in usurping Rhaenyra. He turned in his white cloak and left. Criston Cole knew better than to do anything to him. That left the remaining Greens and Alicent knew there was one more issue.

Visenya Targaryen.

After the dinner, Rhaenyra came to her daughter and told her that if she would like to stay in the Red Keep with her grandfather until she returned from taking her brothers back to Dragonstone, she could. She told Visenya that as her heir, it was past time she learned how things worked in the Red Keep. Visenya agreed and she remained in her apartment. Aemond was happy to learn his niece was staying. Visenya awaited her mother's return, having no idea what was going to happen.

Alicent demanded that the Princess be locked in her room. She knew she could not imprison or kill Visenya, that would be reckless. Visenya is also a Princess, so Alicent said she needed to be treated as her station demanded, but she was still planning on using her as a hostage to get Rhaenyra to concede to her half-brother. What Alicent didn't realize was that Visenya still being in King's Landing meant her sworn shield, Ser Erryk Cargyll was also still in King's Landing. Alicent was no good at telling him apart from his brother, Ser Arryk.

Visenya was brushing out her hair that morning when she heard the doors to her chambers being locked. She quickly looked up and walked to the door. "Ser Erryk? What is going on? Why have I been locked in here?" She asked. When Ser Erryk didn't respond, Visenya immediately knew something was wrong. He would never leave his post without telling her, mainly because she always offered to go with him, and she knew Ser Erryk would never leave her unprotected.