xi. family dinner

Start from the beginning

"You'll be great," Baela said to him with a smile.

"And to my daughter and granddaughter the Princesses Rhaenyra and Visenya... the future Queens of the Seven Kingdoms," Viserys said. Everyone raised their glasses again and echoed praise for Visenya and Rhaenyra. Aemond's eyes were directly on his niece as he raised his glass to his lips. Visenya caught his gaze and held it as she drank from her glass. Aegon leaned back over to Jace.

"You do know how the act is done, I assume? At least in principle. Where to put your cock and all that," Aegon whispered. Baela and Visenya shared a look of disgust while Jace was keeping himself from punching Aegon in the face in front of Viserys.

"Let it be, cousin," Baela said.

"You can play the jester if you wish, but hold your tongue before my betrothed," Jace snapped at him. Viserys tapped his cane on the ground and used it to pull himself up. Rhaenyra looked as if she was unsure whether or not she should help him, but Viserys was able to hold his own.

"It both gladdens my heart and fills me with sorrow to see these faces around the table. The faces most dear to me in all the world... yet grown so distant from each other in the years past." Viserys said.

"That would be the fault of his wife," Visenya mumbled to no one in particular. Baela looked at her sister and the girls shared a smile. Viserys lifted his head to look at every one.

"My own face is no longer a handsome one... if indeed it ever was. But tonight... I wish you to see me, as I am. Not just a king... but your father, your brother, your husband... and your grandsire. Who may not, it seems, walk for much longer among you. Let us no longer hold ill feelings in our hearts. The crown cannot stand strong if the House of the Dragon remains divided. But set aside your grievances... if not for the sake of the crown, then for the sake of this old man who loves you all so dearly." Viserys said and then he sat down. Visenya looked as if she wanted to speak, but she wanted to wait until her grandfather was gone. She didn't want to upset him. Instead, Rhaenyra stood up.

"I wish to raise my cup to Her Grace, the Queen. I love my father. But, I must admit that no one has stood... more loyally by his side than his good wife. She has tended to him with unfailing devotion, love, and honor. And for that, she has my gratitude... and my apology." Rhaenyra said and then she sat down. Alicent looked as if she didn't know what to say as she looked over at Rhaenyra, someone she had once called her closest friend.

"Your graciousness moves me deeply, Princess," Alicent said. Daemon sat up in his seat as Alicent began to talk. Visenya pushed her food around her plate to see what snide remarks Alicent would make about her mother. "We are both mothers... and we love our children. We have more in common than we sometimes allow." Alicent said as she stood up. "I raise my cup to you and your house. You will make a fine queen... and Princess Visenya will make a fine queen after you," Alicent said. Visenya didn't believe her false pleasantries for a minute. Especially because she caught the shift in Otto's face as Alicent spoke like he couldn't believe his daughter would say that.

Visenya cleared her throat as she stood up. "I would like to toast to all of you, my family. To my sweet brothers, Princes Jace, Luke, and Joff, although he is not here with us currently... and my soon-to-be sisters, Baela and Rhaena, and your marriages. My uncles, Prince Aegon, and Prince Aemond, and my sweet aunt Princess Helaena... although we are not as close as we used to be, I still carry the fond memories of our childhood with me. His Grace, the King, my grandsire, and my uncle, Prince Daemon... and finally my mother, Princess Rhaenyra. If your reign is anything similar to the way you have raised me with such love and grace, then the realm will be better for it." Visenya said. Rhaenyra smiled at her daughter as she sat down and everyone drank back their wine.