Chapter Two - Where No One Goes

Immeasurable sky. Boundless ocean. Cool, clear, crisp. Unrestricted freedom.

A single pinprick, a fleck of night and scales, rocketed across the sky. A magnificent black dragon, with limitless speed and agility.

If one didn't look close, it would seem like the dragon was alone. Because Hiccup, dressed in dragon-black and crouched easily on the dragon's back, seemed to be simply an extension of his body. But he was there; a human, riding the rarest and arguably most majestic species of dragon ever found, going so fast he seemed to split the sky.

The dragon was flying so close to the ocean's surface that if he dangled his legs and reached downward, he could almost skim the water. Now, though, his legs were tucked into the most aerodynamic position possible.

A pod of Thunderdrums could be seen under the water. As they crested the surface, they created waves that Hiccup's partner smoothly jounced over.

Flying wing tip to wing tip with this seemingly supersonic creature was another dragon, with creamy white scales so bright as they reflected the sun that she seemed like another, smaller sun herself. Her body build was similar to that of the black dragon, but with distinctly feminine features; smooth and rolling. She matched his speed, her body as flattened out as a pancake to ensure that the wind flowed over her body without slowing it down.

The threesome couldn't communicate by talking, lest the wind rip the sound away. They couldn't communicate through symbols, because even the lifting of an arm would throw off the delicate balance at this speed. But their movements were so synchronized and practiced that they didn't need to communicate. Hiccup drove his dragon by working his man-made tail fin, and the cream-colored dragon read his symbols so fluidly they moved as if they were one.

The three banked upward, the sudden force pressing Hiccup to the dragon's body. Their beating wings swam upward, twisting and spinning into the clouds. Beyond the clouds, the blinding sun beat down with nothing to stop it. The dragons twisted and spun, the wind in Hiccup's ears whistling itself into what sounded almost like a song.

Let the wind carry us,

To the clouds hurry up, all right,

We can travel so far,

As our eyes can see!

The two dragons reached their limit and stalled in the air, falling backward towards the ocean.

We go where no one goes

We slow for no one

Get out of our way...

The dragons ensued in a game of tag, swimming through the ethereal clouds like a pod of dolphins. Farther, faster, higher, twisting and diving and spinning around each other and flying.

The dragons slowed down a bit so Hiccup could talk. He turned down to catch his dragon's eye. "What do you say, bud?" he asked, his voice muffled by his helmet. "Want to give this another shot?"

The dragon grumbled, his green eyes widening with nervousness.

"Toothless!" Hiccup laughed, ignoring his dragon's warnings. "It'll be fine!" He turned and gave a thumbs-up to the other dragon, who met his eyes and sighed, shaking her head a bit.

"You, too!" Hiccup told her. "You both need to calm down. I'm not going to die or something, I promise." He reached down and hooked Toothless's tail so it stayed unfurled, even if Hiccup wasn't there to help. Then, he sat back, rolling his shoulders, and completely relaxed. He slowly tilted to one side and slid off the dragon, yelling as he plummeted downward.