Chapter 7

Walking over to the mysterious spot where me and Vic would have lunch, he covered my eyes. He occasionally asked if I could see through his fingers. I was totally blind, but I had him to guide me, so I was safe.

"Okay we're here now." Vic says

"Well let me see" I say almost impatiently.

When he uncovered my eyes, I gasped in amazement. He had set up a picnic blanket for us with a basket full of food. I was so overwhelmed with emotion that I turned around and bear-hugged him. My eyes got wet with tears.

"Oh my God. Thank you Vic. Th-this is the nicest thing that anyone has ever done for me. You're the best."

"Don't cry Shay. I knew you wouldn't want to go back to Burger Town. I just wanted to do something special for you."

"Thank you so much. I don't even know how I could begin to pay you back for this."

"Shay you don't have to do anything but be who you are. And just live. That's all you have to do for me."

"A-are you sure." I ask

"Yes I'm sure. You don't have to do anything."

I nod my head and hug him again. Then I pull back and laugh a little shakily, wiping away stray tears. Vic motioned for me to sit down. I went to the blanket and sat down beside him.

He opened the basket and pulled out two PB&J sandwiches, sour cream and onion chips, two diet cokes, and some Hershey's chocolate.

I looked at him wide eyed. He knew this was my favorite meal. Again I threw my arms around him and hugged him as tight as I could.

"C-can't b-breath."

"Oh my god I'm sorry Vic. It's just that, you know this is all of my favorite foods."

"Well I really wanted to make it special for you Shay. You really mean a lot to me." He says a little bashful

I touch his hand and say, "You mean a lot to me too. Thank you so much. You've made me feel like I belong here."

He looks up into my eyes and opens his mouth to say something, but no words come out. Then he just blushes and looks down. He picks up a sandwich and bites into it.

I pull my hand away and look away while I munch into my own. The rest of lunch me and Vic just sit and eat and make small talk.

When it's time to go, I sigh and gather up my things to leave. Vic sees that I don't want to go back to school and grabs my hand.

"Hey, we don't have to go back to class if you don't want to." He says quietly

"I don't really want to, but I can't miss anymore of Peter's class or I'll fail this next test."

"Oh well maybe next time then." He says, seeming a little disappointed

"Yea, well I gotta head to class. Thanks for this. It was the greatest lunch I've ever had."

Looking at my watch, I silently curse. In a rush I hug Vic and kiss him on the cheek almost running away, as to not be late to class.

When I look over my shoulder, all I see is Vic standing there somewhat dumbfounded, with a hand touching his cheek.