Part 5

Brianne lied on the white bed, sleeping. She looked so pale and sick yet somehow peaceful. Like finally she got her rest.

When her doctor told me she was diagnosed with Leukaemia stage four, two months ago, all the puzzles fell into places. The tiredness, coughing and paleness. It was all because of this. There was no hope left. At least that was what the doctor told me. I cried again, burying my face in my hands. I felt so evil. So mean. How could I not know?

Someone touched my shoulder. I glanced up to see Wayne. He pulled me into his arms.

"Sshh, everything is going to be okay," he said and rubbed my back.

I hated this man. He was the reason why I said those three words to Brianne last night. I hurt her feelings when all she did for me was being the good friend she always been.

"No, it's not. She's dying. I should have known. I should have realised the changes on her but I did not. I was too busy for myself..." my voice cracked as I sobbed even harder. Wayne continued rubbing my back and kept on saying "It's okay". He let me cried out.

After a while, I calmed down, though it took me nearly an hour and a half. My phone rang and I answered it. It was my parents. They informed me that they have arrived at the Airport and now were on the way to the hospital.

I've told them the sad news this last night. Dad was shocked and Mom pitied me. They aboard the first flight to here as fast as they could. Brianne's mom too was also supposed to be here today. I haven't heard anything from her yet.

"I'm going down to wait up for my parents and Brianne's mom. Would you help me look after her?" I asked Wayne even though all I wanted to do was wait by her side until she woke up. But I knew I needed time to gather myself up before meeting my parents. I don't want to worry them.

"Sure. I'll be glad to," he said. He sat down at my seat and held Brianne's hand firmly. It must've been a love at first sight for them. I could see in his eyes that he cared for her though they never talk together.

Looking back at him before going out, I vowed to myself that I would erase whatever feeling I have for Wayne. Because of my feeling towards him, I hurt Brianne and I planned not to do it again if she woke up. If.

****

I bought coffee from Starbucks just across the road from the hospital. While I was exiting, I saw a taxi pulled out in front of me. Surprisingly, the passengers who came out from the taxi were my parents.

"Mom! Dad!" I ran into their open arms. Oh, how I missed them so much.

"Belle, how are you, baby girl?" Dad asked me.

Instead of replying, I just shake my head, telling him I wasn't okay. I was crushed inside. Just the thought of her dying saddened me even more. Mom wiped the tears that started to flow again.

"Brianne?"

"I don't know. I hope she'll make it but the doctor said there isn't any hope left," I tried to hold back the sobs. "He said we should prepared for the worst."

"Oh, darling. She's going to be fine," Mom pulled me into a hug. How I missed to have them around. It felt like a little bit of burden have been lifted from my shoulder. Now, I have two persons to share this sadness. I couldn't do this alone. With them here, maybe it will help a bit.

I was too into the moment that I did not realise a taxi have stopped near us.

"Wow, the three of you are happily reunited while my daughter, is fighting for her life up there," a voice from behind caught our attention. It was Brianne's mom, Camelia. She looked exhausted but still stunning.

"Camelia?" Dad was surprised. Did he not expect her to be here? After all, she was Brianne's mother. But there was something cheeky here. Like how they look like long lost lover? My subconscious said sarcastically. I shook my head at the thought.

"Bryan. Yes it is me. Camelia. The same pregnant woman you ditched nineteen years ago, for this two female in front of me..." I could sense her anger boiling. Her face turned red as the blood.

"What are you talking about Camelia?" I asked her. There was something fishy going on here.

"Why don't you ask your parents? I can't believe they kept you in the dark all this time. Poor child," she said not sadly but mockingly.

"Mom? Dad?" my voice croaked. I looked at them for answers. Neither of them dared to look at me. Camelia was smiling wickedly.

My parents was hiding something from me. This thing they hide had something to do with Camelia. It couldn't be a good thing because it made Camelia boiled in anger. I waited for them to say something but they didn't. Mom has sad but angry look on. When I turned to look at dad, his expression was full with guilt. Wait, guilt?

"Mom, Dad, tell me!" I half shouted. They glanced at each other. They looked hesitated at first but finally nodded and inhaled deeply.

"Belle, honey, we are so sorry. You should have known early. We wanted to tell you long ago but we were too afraid, I guess. We didn't want you to hate us," his face was unreadable. I never see him like this before. He took a deep breath again. "Brianne is...my child. She is your half-sister," Dad said while looking me straight in the eyes.

The world seemed to have stopped revolving. My heart stopped pumping blood.

"What? Sister?" I stared at Dad and Mom. How could they do this to me?

All these years, my best friend who was like a sister to me was actually my half-sister? We were really sister by blood. Immediately, I felt betrayed. I lost so many years, so many precious times with my sister just because of my parents' selfishness. Yes, Brianne and I did spent time together always. But that was as best friend. It would be wonderful when it had been as sisters.

Suddenly, I felt my phone vibrating in my pocket. I pulled it put and pressed the answer button. It was Wayne and he sounded panic.

"You have to come back. Brianne. She has been coughing blood non-stop. The doctor said..." I didn't need Wayne to finish that sentence. Not wasting another second, I ran as fast as lightning towards the hospital building. Brianne needed me. My sister needed me.

All at once I heard tire screeched and a blaring horn screamed in my ears. I saw a red car moving towards me but before I could do anything, I was flying through the air and landed on the warm road of London streets.

"Belle!!!!!!!" I heard Mom and Dad's panic voices.

"Brianne," the name escaped my lips. My vision blurred and darkness took over me.

Surprise?

Well, I hope you do. Another shocking event on the next part which will be the last part. Stay tuned ;)
Do vote and comment!