Part 3

Life is all good until you turn 22, when you hit the number, we are watched by the society with a moral obligation to get a job, earn good enough to marry someone, earn some more to  bring in a new life to earth, but what choices do we have?  Vish was forced to take part in the cycle, the worst part of this is to marry someone who you met twice or thrice and spend the rest of the life with him/her.

Sumi ma:  Vish, what do you think about this boy?

Vish: maa, if you are fine then I will marry him. Btw where does he work? because my work is now in bangalore, so?

Sumi ma: let me check with your father, he just spoke with the boys family.

dad:  He has completed his degree in economics and the only son in the family

My dad and I don't usually talk, but whenever we do ... it ends in a fight, and this very moment I knew where this conversation is headed for.

Mahir: The question was , where does he work?

dad: he need not work, his family has ton of money.

Mahir: So he doesn't have a job

dad: Does having a job make you any better Mahir? Look at you (I'm not irked by his comment on me, its his usually level of stooping low)

Mahir: probably that's because of the single parenting ,

Sumi Ma:  Mahir!! drop the conversation

dad: All that he can do is only that, this is the 4th boy that I have showed you. The only thing you have done or tried doing is by turning it all down

Mahir: Because the way you look is just by money.

dad: oh, then what do you think the world runs on? If not my job and money your mom wouldn't have married me, so essentially everything is money.

That one word about my mom burnt the last straw that I was holding on to.

Mahir: oh that one mistake still haunts her right in the face!!! That is why I don't want my sister to be like that.

Sumi ma: Mahir!!! stop, go to your room.

Mahir:  For once try stopping him mom, he should know that everyone has a limit to their patience.

dad: I am trying to fulfill my duty as a father to my daughter, now if you want to teach me the rules why don't you find a boy and marry her to him?

Mahir: Duty? you? You were never there.

dad: The dresses that you wore, the fluent english that you speak, where do you think you got it? I paid you , you ungrateful idiot.

Sumi ma: Please both of you, don't stoop low. 

dad: This is all what you wanted, isnt it Sumithra? Make your son turn against me?  He is just the toy, you turned the key. Wow, amazing that he dances very well to your tune

Vish: Dad, why are you talking to mom like this? She would never imagine something like this.

Mahir:  Leave him Vish, he is just a coward man who likes fighting women, and its not like they don't know how to fight back, its just you are not worth the time.

My dad raised a hand to slap me but I stood there still without a slight fear in the eyes, he couldn't hit me, he for sure knew that I can give it back.  This is not new to me but every time I fight with him , its my mom and Vish who are affected. I felt bad about what happened here, so I wanted to apolozise to Vish and then mom.