2

Dad picked me up from school today because mom had to stay late at work today. He didn't have much else going on today considering that he had already finished up with the boys for practice. I was in the kitchen on my turn board, practicing my spotting.

"Honey, don't you have any homework that you need to get done?" Dad asked.

I kept spinning on my turn board, waiting for it to stop but dad just picked me off the board and set me on the floor. "No, I did it already."

"When?" He asked me to fold his arms. "I want to see the turn in schedule with all the check marks".

"Okay," I replied. I unzipped my backpack and went onto the laptop and pulled up the school gradebook. "See dad. This is today and the rest of the week. I did basically everything except for the quiz that's not due until this weekend. But my teacher said to do it Friday since she hasn't finished the lesson yet."

"Hmmm... Wow baby, you did all your homework for the week?" Dad remarked with his eyebrows raised.

"It wasn't very hard," I replied. He just laughed in reply.

"Alright. Well why don't you show your old man some of these moves that you have been working on in practice?" Dad asked.

"Really?" I asked.

"Sure honey. I'll even spot you if needed," he added.

"Okay," I replied. I grabbed some grip socks so I wouldn't fall on the floor. I did a little run and then flipped over into a 1 ½ twist. Afterwards, I showed him my turns and a few more leaps. "Also, dad, look at this." I ran back to the front door and then sprinted a little bit into a few handsprings into a 1.5 twist.

In the middle of my tumbling, we both heard the door open. Once I stuck my landing, I saw dad walk over towards the door. I turned around and saw Liv and Layla. That combination surprised me a little bit because she didn't come over as often.

"Hey girls," Dad said.

"Hey dad," Liv said.

"Hi Coach Baker," Layla replied.

"I haven't seen you together in forever," Dad asked.

"Yea, we are working on some homework. Something about who Shakespeare was," Liv replied.

"Oh you should watch Anonymous, I know how much you guys love movie days. It'd be a nice break from studying," Dad replied.

Liv just looked annoyed. Layla walked over towards me. "Aww don't you look so cute tumbling around. You're getting really good Maddie!" She said.

"Thanks Laya," I replied. She continued to walk past me and sat on the couch.

I looked over at Liv. She gave me a slight smile. "She's right. You're getting really good!"

"Thanks Liv," I replied, giving her a hug.

I walked over to dad and saw him pouring some popcorn into a bowl. We both walked over to the living room and dad handed Layla the popcorn.

"Well you girls have fun!" Dad replied.

"Daddy can I watch the movie too?" I asked. Layla looked at Liv and then back at Dad.

"No honey, let's give Liv some space so she can hang out with her friends. You and I can go out in the backyard and practice your football skills since you are done with your homework." Dad said.

I just sighed and followed my dad outside. I didn't want to practice football skills with him. I wanted to spend time with Liv. But I knew how much football made my dad happy so I tried to be engaged. There was some new play that he said that he said he thought would be good so we sat outside and he drew some circles and x marks to show who I would be and where dad would stand.

"Here sweetie... when I throw the ball to you, tell me if you can see the ball from that far?" Dad said.

"Okay," I replied. I ran towards the other side of the yard and my dad threw the football. It was pretty far out and I wasn't too sure if I was going to catch it, however, I managed to use the trick that Jordan taught me. Always stand in a lunge position and undercatch the ball for minimal impact.

"I think... I think I got it. Dad I got it," I yelled jumping up and down with joy!

"That's my girl," he yelled back. Dad ran towards me and threw me on his back as he ran around the yard doing a victory lap. Once he put me down, we continued to just play catch and run basic manover skills. It wasn't as bad as I imagined. Especially, considering that I got to spend time with him.

As it got later and later, we went back inside after dad's watch went off saying there was a missed phone call from mom. We both went inside. Liv was in the kitchen, pacing back and forth. Layla was no longer here. That's when dad grabbed his car keys and left without saying anything.

"Liv? Where's dad going?" I asked, looking at her.

"Um he just went to go get Jordan. Why don't you go up and shower. You're probably all sweaty anyways from all that running," She replied.

"Okay," I replied. I dragged myself upstairs and went to hop in the shower. I just threw my hair up and took a normal shower. Once I was all done, I threw on my pajama shorts and my long-sleeve and ran down the stairs.

"That was a quick shower Maddie," Liv said. She was sitting on the barstool on the kitchen island watching a youtube video. I stepped on the stool next to her and sat in Liv's lap.

"I just showered. Mom said she would help me wash my hair on the weekend," I replied.

"Oh okay," Liv replied. We continued to watch the video until the door opened aggressively.

"I already have the officer's badge names, I want to speak to their supervisors immediately," mom said while angrily throwing her bag on her desk. She slammed the door which made me jump a bit. I leaned into Olivia while holding onto her hand.

"Why on earth would you argue with a cop," Dad yelled. Jordan and dad started getting into a big argument. That's when mom came out of her office.

"What's going on?" I asked everyone.

"Maddie... go upstairs!" My mom said.

"But," I replied.

"Madaline, this is not up for discussion, please just go!" Dad said.

"Come on. Let's just go to bed. You can sleep in my room tonight!" Liv said. She put me down and we walked upstairs into her bedroom. We both climbed under the covers and soon enough I had fallen asleep.