Chapter 17: Double Take

Start from the beginning

"Oi, what are you still doing here?" He glanced at her from the corner of his eyes and raised a brow, "Shoo, shoo, you're disturbing my rest."

"Rude," she grumbled as he dismissively waved her out as if she's a pesky fly, "Didn't know you owned this part of town. It's a public area, learn how to share. Consider this payback for ruining my spare time and shortening my work load for the past week."

Rindo hid a victory-filled grin and looked away. On another note, picking the stubborn (h/c)-nette up from club forced her not to stay too late, thus no longer reinforcing her self-destructive habits. He didn't realize he was proud of that result despite him losing his free time to protect her.

"Whatever," he said and was left at that.

After all was said and done, there was silence. A mutual peace agreement, that is. This was the second time where (y/n) could appreciate the view without interruption and yet another sunset graced the city with stunning vibrancy. Last time, it was a mix of purples and orangey-pinks; now, it was a medium blue blended with a desaturated reddish-pink. The overwhelming streams of business signs and car beams flickered brightly under (e/c) and violet hues.

How captivating...

"(L/n), what are you doing in that club room of yours?" Rindo spoke up— breaking the comfortable quiet between them; however, did not once turn to look at her.

'Huh? He wants to bring that up now?!' (Y/n) thought with an expression of offense. She shifted her eyes ever-so slightly which was enough of a cue for the blonde boy to continue.

"I know we already apologized and both you and I want to leave everything in the past..." he trailed off before leaning his cheek on his propped-up left hand. His piercing eyes stared at her in a dull, hawk-like manner as if he was scrutinizing her every thought, "... but it left me wondering. You got really upset during our argument and yet, you weren't talking about me, were you? But then, who was it? Who are you trying to impress? Why would you sacrifice your own body in that club room?"

(Y/n) grimaced with a bitter scowl. So much for that elated feeling...

"Do I need a reason? Actually, do I need to tell you?" She repeated his own words and diverted her gaze to the side. Her mood was not-so-surprisingly ruined by the infamous Haitani.

"It's just that—" he slowly trailed his eyes away and half-heartedly admired the lights below, "—you remind me too much of me."

'Fuck,' (y/n) thought and tried not to show the panic on her face, her eyes trying to find anything of interest other than the conversation at hand.

"What are you trying to do, Haitani? Are you trying to pick another fight," the (h/c)-haired teen asked.

'Please just stop...' she begged and bit the inside of her lip.

"I'm trying to understand your thoughts," he merely explained, "Oddly enough, we have a lot in common. If it weren't for that smart mouth of yours, maybe we could've been friends in another universe."

"If you didn't act like a spoiled brat, I would've treated you nicely," she replied.

"But if you are like me," Rindo ignored her statement as she became irked by his behavior, "I want you to stop. It's not worth it."