Chapter 8

Declan's POV

"I can't believe you told her that you like her'' Mason said. He was suspended for today's match, so I was going to go with him to watch it from the stands.

"Me neither, but I just couldn't stand seeing her looking so sad and knowing it was all my fault."

"And you were hoping she would like you back even if you can't really act on those feelings now, right?" he smirked.

"Maybe..." we both laughed.

As we walked to our gate, I thought I saw a redhead walking in the opposite direction. And that meant I was going crazy. There are more redheads in the world, Declan. And she doesn't like football, so why would she be here wearing a Chelsea scarf?

Veronica's POV

I couldn't believe I let Mike bring me to a football match. But here we are, Jo, Mike and I wearing our Chelsea scarfs (well, Mike was wearing the entire store. Who has Chelsea socks and wears them in public?) and heading to our gate. I was told there was good food. I really hoped that wasn't a lie.

When we sat down in our seats, I looked at the players who were warming up. As per Jo's requests, we went to the Chelsea-Everton match, and I could see that Jo was staring at Calvert-Lewin. I couldn't blame her, but I was too busy trying to find where Mason Mount was.

"Hey Mike, which one is Mount?" I asked.

"Oh, he's not playing today, he's suspended."

Huh, well, that was a bummer.

When the match started, I tried to look at the player's names on their shirts. Number 21, Chilwell, was kinda cute, not gonna lie. But it was Kanté that Mike always praised, so I tried to find him.

The match ended with a 2-1 win to Chelsea. The Kanté guy Mike loves didn't score, but everyone kept on talking about how amazing he was. Football is weird.

Mike also wanted to show me the ground, so we walked around while he explained everything to me. I loved seeing him so excited about things. If I had known me coming to a match was going to make him this happy, I would have done it years ago.

By the time we were done, most people were already gone, so we were about to head to the tube when I heard my name being called.

I think I know that voice...

Mason's POV

"Veronica?" I yelled again. That's her, right? Or am I just yelling at a random redhead?

Both she and her friends turned around to look at me, but it was the guy she was with who reacted first.

"Oh my God, it's Mason Mount!"

"Mason, hi!" Veronica said. "I didn't expect to see you here."

"You didn't expect to see me at Stamford Bridge? Where the team I play for was playing today?" That was a bit mean, but I couldn't help it. Veronica blushed and her friends laughed. "I'm here with Declan" I said.

"Declan?" her friend asked, Veronica looking at me with an expression that showed me this guy had no idea about what was going on.

"Yes, babe" her other friend, the guy's girlfriend I guessed, said. "Declan is Veronica's professor. The one who is friends with Mount."

"Right, that makes sense. So... can I take a picture with you? You're my favourite Chelsea player" he said to me.

"Of course."

"I thought your favourite was Kan... Ouch." He elbowed Veronica so she couldn't finish her sentence.

After I took a picture with Mike and Josephine, who was actually really cute, I saw Veronica staring at me.

"Do you want a picture too?" I asked, knowing that wasn't what she wanted from me.

"Um... no, thanks. I was just wondering where Declan was?" Of course you were, darling.

"He'll be back here in a sec. We met some old friends from our time in the Academy and he's talking to them."

She nodded, and I had to take this opportunity to help my best friend. "Hey guys, why don't we go to have a coffee or something once Dec is back?"

Veronica's face was hilarious. But she knew her friend Mike wasn't going to allow her to say no. Mike was saying that, of course, they wanted to do that, while Josephine whispered something in Veronica's ear. She nodded to her friend.

I turned to see Declan walking towards me and realizing who had joined me. He looked exactly like Veronica did when I offered them to go to have a drink. Soulmates!

"Look who I've found!" I said to him with the biggest grin on my face.

"Veronica, hi! And... Josephine, right? Good to see you again."

"Hi. Yeah, good to see you too" Josephine said to him. "This is Mike, my boyfriend. Mike, this is Declan, Veronica's professor."

Dec shook hands with Mike. "Hi, mate. You alright?"

"Yeah, man."

"Ok" I said to get their attention. "There is this place around here where we can go have a drink. Should we get going?"

"Yes!" Mike said enthusiastically. And so we were on the move.

"Oh look!" Josephine said. "A squirrel!"

"It kind of looks like you, Mase" Declan said to me.

"Shut up" I said, pushing him.

"Squirrels are kind of cute" Veronica added.

"You think so?" I asked her, and she nodded. "Then thanks for the compliment, bro. It seems that Veronica thinks I'm cute."

"I didn't say..." But I couldn't hear what she was saying because Declan slapped the back of my head, which made me laugh.

They are perfect for each other, and I won't stop until they get together.