Chapter 35: Finals

Start from the beginning

"Yes. Are we starting now?" (Ooyodo)

"Yep. Let's begin the final round."

The alarm rang, calling both teams to their starting positions. The crowd is getting louder as the other girls begin cheering for the team they support.

"Do your best, Red 5!" (Taigei)

"I have 50k yen on the line here. Don't let me down, Red 6!" (Suzuya)

"Shioi! Show them the might of us submarines!" (Imuya)

For this match, there aren't any 'unexpected encounters'. In fact, those only applied to the first round of matches. I'm submitting those so I thought adding such scenarios will give HQ an idea of how the girls are performing.

As usual, a green flare was launched into the sky and both teams started their engines. After a short while, both Light Carriers launched a squadron of aircraft.

The sound of propeller planes echoed from a distance. Unlike the monitor in the Command Room, since I'm watching from the stands, I can't really hear what they are saying.

Gunshots reverberated through the air as the two squadrons engaged in a dogfight. Looks like Zuihou's squadron lost Air Superiority. Shouhou's fighters managed to 'shoot' down most of the enemy planes, paving the way for her bombers to drop their payload.

Zuihou's fleet activated their machine guns to take down as many planes as they could. The bombs dropped a couple of shrieks can be heard.

"Zuihou, light damage. Minazuki, Suzukaze, moderate damage." (Ooyodo)

An explosion suddenly appeared on Shouhou's end. Akashi was covered in dark red paint.

"Akashi, sunk." (Ooyodo)

The two fleets finally got into firing range and began exchanging volleys of shells and torpedoes.

Ahh. I miss this feeling. There really is nothing like the heart-pounding boom of cannon fire and the distinct smell of gunpowder in the late afternoon.

Shioi popped her head out of the water for a split second before diving down again. Is she picking her targets?

Shioi resurfaced again. This time, exposing the upper half of her body. Her hanger opened up and a catapult extended outwards. Shioi launched a Seiran, before retracting everything and diving back underwater. The Seiran flew over Shouhou and dropped a bomb. It missed but still covered her in dark red paint.

"Shouhou, light damage. Agano, sunk." (Ooyodo)

Eh? When did Agano get done in?

I looked to where Agano was. She was covered from head-to-toe in dark red paint. Three Tenzens circled back towards Zuihou. So that's how.

Fusou fired a shell, hitting Murasame squared in the chest.

"Murasame, sunk " (Ooyodo)

I can see Zuihou saying something to Shigure and Suzukaze. The two Destroyers advanced forward in a zigzag motion while Zuihou moved further back. Torpedoes were launched, forcing Shouhou and Asakaze to move aside. Matsukaze moved to Asakaze's side and shot at the water. Her fourth shot created a tower of water. I guess there was a torpedo there?

Matsukaze then toss something into the water. Nothing happened so she continued tossing some more. I was starting wonder whether or not Red 5 had any submarines countermeasures. Looks like Matsukaze is the one handling ASW.

There was a big explosion, followed by the water turning into a bright shade of red.

"Shioi, moderate damage. Please surface and remain in that state." (Ooyodo)

I can hear some panicked voices behind me. It's from the submarine girls. As a submarine, once you surface, you as good as dead. It's like an assassin wearing bright clothes and carrying a sign with the words 'I'm an assassin'. Everyone knows where you are and you become an easy target.

Shioi launched her two Seirans. Probably as escorts? Wait, never mind. She is sending both seaplanes into the fray. A torpedo trail can be seen moving towards her.

"I-401, sunk." (Ooyodo)

I can see Matsukaze throw a fist in the air before being covered in paint.

"Matsukaze, heavy damage. Fusou, heavy damage. Minazuki, sunk." (Ooyodo)

A torpedo had struck Fusou and dive bombers took care of Matsukaze and Minazuki. Matsukaze got lucky. Minazuki, not so much.

The battle continued. One by one, the girls from each team fell out of the battle and the crowd became wilder. Even Shigure was done in by Fusou before falling to the two Seirans Shioi had launched before being 'sunk'. Right now, only Shouhou and Zuihou are left. So it did become a battle between sisters again.

Both sisters stared at each other, before leaping in the same direction. Launching Tenzens, Suiseis, Reppus, Type 99 Bombers as they moved, their moves countered one another whilst remaining in sync. It was as though they can read each other like a book. That much is expected. But...

One of Shouhou's planes flat-spinned into the water, stopping it's owner in her tracks. Zuihou quickly diverted one of her Suiseis back towards Shouhou. The Suisei dropped its bomb onto Shouhou, staggering her. Zuihou quickly followed up by having her Reppu rain machinegun fire. SHouhou looks as though she had been blinded by the bullets. Zuihou then followed up with a torpedo launched by her Tenzen from Shouhou's starboard side.

"Shouhou, sunk! Winner, Red 6!" (Ooyodo)

The crowd cheered loudly. That was exciting match. I can see the rest of Red 6 gathering around an elated Zuihou who is jumping around wildly. Meanwhile, Shouhou went to check on the plane and its fairy that crashed into the sea. I guess the fairy is all right since I can see her breathe a sigh of relief and poking the fairy.

Although Shouhou is technically more experienced than Zuihou, she has one major weakness. Like Zuihou, Shouhou cares a lot for her planes. Unlike Zuihou, she is extremely worried about them. She often gets distracted and saddened by them being destroyed in midair or crash-landing into the sea. Those mere seconds of distraction can potentially lead to death. It's not as if I don't empathize with her. I know how it feels seeing something you hold dear disappear in front of you.

"Hooray! Come on, Mogami! Hand over the money!" (Suzuya)

"Argh! I though for sure Fusou would win this!" (Mogami)

"L-lady luck wasn't on Nee-sama's side this time, that's all." (yamashiro)

"When was it ever on the Fuso sisters side?" (Kawakaze)

"You little-!!" (Yamashiro)

"Hahya! She is angry~ She is angry~" (Kawakaze)

Well, that was fun to watch. Sad I have to get back to work though.

"Admiral, what's the first prize?" (Minazuki)

"Giv' it here~" (Suzukaze)

"Is it a trip to the canel?"

Now the paint-covered winners are swarming me,

"Calm down calm down. The first prize is... here!"

I took out six tickets to a certain famous theme park in Tokyo. Their eyes beamed as soon as they realized where those tickets will bring them.

"Disneyland!!!" (Red 6)