Chapter 2: In the Real New Normal

"Well umm....."

———————————————————————

POV Hope:

"Well um .."

*Back to book 1*

I was snapped back to reality when Mama said, "What are you thinking about?"

"Just the stuff that happened these past few years. Well, a year and a half." I answered back. "Oh wow. Yeah, a lot has happened. That is for sure." Mama came over and laid down on my bed, staring at the ceiling with me.

"Even though it was a lot, it was worth all the pain and shit I went through." I express while just thinking about the stuff i went through. "While I don't like the language that was used, I do have to agree with what is said. It was a crazy ride. I wouldn't have had it any other way." We just kinda laid in my bed in awkward silence until eternity.

Then, both of our phones go off at the same time.

It was our family group chat which read, "I'm going to a 5 alarm fire. I love y'all and I will try my absolute best to come home to all of you." It ended with a heart emoji.

Both Mama and I took a shaky breath in.

We both knew we weren't going to sleep much tonight but I had school tomorrow. That and Zeek's first day too. This was going to be a rough night for the both of us. "I know I can't sleep with Maya gone to the 5 alarm fire and I know you can't either. So would you like to hangout with me?" Mama asks me but knowing full well I will say yes.

I made my way into Mom and Mama's room to chill out on the bed drawing in my sketchbook. Nothing to fancy.

Mama was trying to get work done but she was thinking about Mom.......

*Back to the second book*

"I don't remember much else from the dream but it will probably come back to me. But yeah, that is all I can remember." I explained what I could recall from the dream, I knew there was more.

"Wow I wonder how bad the 5 alarm fire was?" Mom said with much curiosity.

"Bambina, head out of firefighter mode, please." Mama day said, slightly irritated. She usually gets annoyed when our firefighter heads turn on.

Yes, I said 'our'. You are looking at Station 19's Probie!

Today was one of the rarest days where all three of us had off in the morning/afternoon. But tonight is back to the grind.

After a few more minutes of conversation, Mama's stomach started to grumble, telling us that she and the baby were hungry. "So dinner? Before Mom and I have to leave tonight?" I suggested, to be fair, it was around like 6 which we eat relatively early. "I guess something simple, Hopey, I will do the chicken and you could do some sort of veggie?" Mom suggested.

"Then what about me?" Mama asks in slight confusion.

"Well you cooked breakfast, so it is my turn. Hope just gets the opportunity to cook both times." Mom explains. "Hey rude but I can keep you from burning the food but also the house." I acknowledged knowing how it could go.

"Ok that was one time, people. One. Time." Mom said, putting her hands up to her eyes and rubbing them in frustration.

Mama and I just kinda chuckle. Mom ended up doing a very simple pan seared chicken while I did some oven roasted asparagus.