The Swan

“Cassie?” Marlene whispered, getting the attention of Marlene and Lily. They all gasped when they saw her. She had turned into a swan. Her curly black hair fell across her shoulders in neat ringlets, layers framing her face attractively, her acne was gone, replaced with healthy skin, her lips curled into a smile as her eyes showed something they never have. Confidence.
        “You look amazing!” Alice hugged Cassie, who laughed.
             “Thanks, Alice. I finally grew out of that awkward phase.”
         “Wearing robes that fit you I see.” Marlene teased, looking her up and down playfully. Cassie punched her shoulder.
             “It’s crazy what confidence can do, huh?” Cassie winked as they boarded the train. They found a compartment towards the back, piling in the girls started to talk about what they did over the summer.
              “Is that a septum piercing?” Lily asked, pointing at Cassie's nose that had a metal ring in it.
              “Yeah, my sister's boyfriend works at a tattoo shop, so he did it.”
              “Did it hurt?” Alice asked.
              “Not much.” Cassie smiled. They talked through the whole train ride, sitting together for dinner and the sorting ceremony.

            “Who's the new girl?” Sirius asked, pointing at Cassie.
“Where?” James asked, his mouth already full of food.
            “She's not new, you twat.” Remus barked.
            “Believe me mate, I would remember if I saw someone that hot.” Sirius laughed, making Remus huff.
             “She looks familiar though, Pads. Maybe she's not new,” James shrugged. Sirius tapped on the shoulder on the guy sitting next to him, who was also staring at Cassie.
             “She new?” He asked.
             “That's Cunningham.” The guy answered shortly, turning back around.
             “No. way.” James gaped.
             “Thats- thats the ugly duckling?” Sirius choked on his pumpkin juice.
              “I told you she wasn’t new.” Remus raised his eyebrows, taking a bite of a biscuit.
              “Cunningham!” James yelled, gaining the attention of hungry students at the table. Cassie turned around, looking at the boy. He motioned her over, hesitantly she walked over.
             “Potter?” She asked, he froze, snapping out of it once Sirius threw a biscuit in his face.
             “You’ve changed.” He looked up.
             “I just grew out of an awkward phase,” She smiled, he choked slightly on his biscuit.
             “If thats all Potter, I’m going to go eat. I’ll see you around. Hey Lupin.” Cass lightly set her hand on James shoulder before leaving with a smile.
            “What the bloody hell was that?” Sirius smirked.
            “I dunno, I was just trying to talk but when I looked up at her-” James breathed.
            “Blimey, mate, I think you fancy her.” Peter laughed.
            “I thought you’d never move on from Evans.” Remus chuckled.
            “No, I fancy Evans, it- it was just a fluke i’m sure.” James laughed weakly. “I’m gonna go back now, i’m tired, didn’t get much sleep last night.” He added, before glancing back at Cassie who was already looking at her. He stumbled a bit before walking out of the great hall.  Deciding his behavior was odd, Cassie finished her dinner and followed after him. She found him at the astronomy tower, throwing pebbles down to the ground. She quietly sat down beside him, letting her feet dangle off the tower as if she were dipping her legs in the pool.
          “Are you okay, Potter?” She asked quietly.
          “Mhm.” He threw another pebble. They sat in silence for a while as he threw more pebbles, finally Cassie reached out and grabbed his hand as he went to throw another one. She unraveled his hand and took the pebble.
         “M’sorry.” He muttered.
         “For what?”
         “For what I said last year.”
         “It’s Ok-”
         “No, its not.”
         “I forgive you, It hurt me at the time, but I've gotten over it.” She looked over at him.
         “I shouldn’t have said it.”
         “Potter, let's just forget it ever happened. I’ve let it go and you should too.” She threw the pebble she took from him. He sat there for a second.
         “Friends?” He held his hand out, she took it without hesitation.
         “Friends.” Cass laughed, squeezing his hand gently before letting it go.
         “I like the piercing.” He looked over at her, ruffling his hair.
         “Thanks, I got it for my birthday.”
         “When's your birthday?” He asked
         “July 5th.”
         “July 5th,” He repeated.
         “Yours?”
         “March 27th,”
               As they sat there conversing the cold wind started to blow making her hair flow behind her as she shivered.
         “Cold?” He asked, scooting closer.
         “A little, yeah.” She looked over at him.
         “Let’s head back, yeah? It’s getting late.” He stood up, holding his hand out to help her up. She graciously took it, stumbling a bit too close as she stood.
         “Here.” He took his blazer off, handing it to her. She slipped it on, wordlessly, hugging the blazer closer to her.
         “Let’s go.” He grinned, walking to the dormitories with her. As they stood in front of the portrait door, she handed him his blazer back.
          “Give it back to me, tomorrow.” He assured, walking inside with her. The boys were still up, but the girls were nowhere to be seen. Sirius raised his eyebrows when he saw the two.
          “I’m gonna head to bed, goodnight, Potter.” She muttered, walking to her dorm without another word. Once in the dorm the girls were waiting for her.
         “What happened?” Lily asked with a smile on her face.
         “Is that his jacket?” Alice squealed.
         “You didn’t hook up, did you?” Marlene grimaced.
         “We sat in the astronomy tower and he apologized for what he said last year, and wanted to be friends.” Cass shrugged, changing into a t-shirt and plaid pajama pants.
          “And the blazer?” Lily asked.
         “It started to get cold, so he gave it to me.” Cass crawled into bed.
          “Do you like him?” Alice hummed.
         “I don't know him well enough to say.” Cas murmured on the brink of sleep.
         “Goodnight everyone.” Alice yawned.