"How is that possible?" Isobel asked, furrowing her brow as she looked at Caley's helpless body.

"The screams keep getting worse. And sometimes she scratches herself and makes herself bleed. I think they're going to have to chain her up so that she doesn't hurt herself," I answered.

"Merlin..." Isobel muttered under her breath.

"Where's everyone?" I asked.

"Her father is speaking with the doctors. Her friend Lance is with that Abbey girl. Dom's in the criminal ward," she told me.

They had set up a separate wing in the hospital for the people on the dark side that had been injured. Most of the people were in holding cells like Elijah's. But some of the people that hadn't committed too many crimes were being treated by the doctors and healers.

We both sat in silence for a few moments. Caley screamed in agony again, sending a shiver up my spine. Isobel turned her face away, biting her lip and closing her eyes until Caley's screaming ceased.

"How are you sitting here and listening to her do that over and over again?" Isobel asked.

"I haven't left her side throughout this whole ordeal. I'm not about to leave it now," I replied.

"Do you love her?" Isobel asked me, a slight edge to her voice.

"Like a little sister," I answered, putting my hand on her knee. Her face softened.

"She's lucky to be on the receiving end of that love," she said.

"I hope she wakes up to appreciate it," I mumbled. "Speaking of love, where's Trey?" I asked.

After he had defeated Caley and the confusion had spread, Trey had seemingly disappeared. He hadn't come into the hospital ward with the others and he hadn't stopped by even once to check on his fiancee. The love of her life had left her and she was left to experience the torment of her sacrifice on her own.

I set my cup on the table next to Caley's bed and leaned forward, rubbing my temples with my fingers. I had a massive headache and I could hear the echo of Caley's screams repeating in my mind.

"When we went to Sylvanterra, the Earth Nation, Caley told me that she had a dream about her mother. She said she had seen her mother when she was in the hospital wing after the last War, after the poison had activated in her veins. But she said that her father was standing right there beside her mother. Because he loved her," I told Isobel.

"Trey's probably just angry. He just needs time maybe," Isobel said, resting her chin on my shoulder. I shook my head.

"If he truly loved her, he would have forgotten his anger once he saw her like this. I'm pretty sure everyone in the vicinity can hear her screaming," I argued.

"You are right about that. I tried to get away from it by going to the opposite side of campus, but I could still hear her. With all the buildings torn down, her screams really carry across the campus," Isobel said.

"He's a coward and an asshole and he doesn't deserve her," I said, shaking my head angrily.

"How would you have felt if you were in his position?" Isobel asked.

"I'm sure I would have been angry. But if I saw the love of my life on her deathbed, screaming in agony like Caley is, I would have forgotten my anger and stood by her side no matter what," I answered. "Caley defied Elijah's orders for him. She knew very well what would happen if she disobeyed his orders and she did it anyway. Because she couldn't kill him. She sacrificed her life for his. And he doesn't have the decency to stand by her side while she dies," I said.