Chapter Nine

Dinner that night had been unbearably tense, leaving everyone with a feeling of immense discomfort

        Dinner that night had been unbearably tense, leaving everyone with a feeling of immense discomfort. It had been announced that Gabriel refused to return for training, leaving the task entirely up to his older brother. Disappointment flickered in Rosalie's veins as she mindlessly pushed her food around her plate. Yes, she was still angry with Gabriel... but she truly enjoyed his company. Would they still be friends now that he would not be coming around the Institute? She hoped so. But part of her doubted their friendship would be possible now. Training with Gabriel had been a good excuse for being around one another. Now there would be no more excuses.

        After dinner, almost everyone retired to their bedrooms- with the exception of Charlotte and Henry. The latter of whom rushed back to his workshop. Rosalie hadn't seen where Charlotte went as she trekked up the stairs toward her room. Her bed called to her like a siren luring men from their ships. After a day like this one, all she longed to do was sleep. When Rosalie at last reached her room, she shucked off her skirts and corset. That alone sucked the rest of Rosalie's energy from her body. Feeling utterly drained, she collapsed into bed wearing only her underclothes. Sleep descended upon her almost instantly.
The sun overhead shone brightly upon the flower-filled field. She recognized this place, she had dreamed of it many times before. "Rosalie." the sound of her name on his lips sent a shiver down her spine. Turning slowly, Rosalie's face lit up at the sight of him. Will. He looked older, not by much- just a few years perhaps. The summer sun had been kind to him: his skin had tanned beautifully, drawing attention to his blue eyes. She had never noticed just how beautifully blue they truly were. His hair was windswept. "Are you ready?" he asked her with a smile. It was such a handsome sight, making her wish he smiled more often.
"For?"
Will snorted and jerked his head toward the two horses trailing behind him. "Our afternoon ride." he said gently. This side of him was so different to the Will she knew. He seemed much happier than she had ever seen him, less guarded. He extended his hand to her and she grasped it instantly, her heart thundering at the feel of his calloused hands against her smooth skin. Will pulled her against his toned body and her heart beat even faster. So fast, in fact, she worried it might stop beating altogether. He bent down to kiss her as if it were the most natural thing in the world-
A series of sharp knocks on the door woke Rosalie from her dream. The sheets were a twisted mess on the bed as she clamored to her feet, wrapping herself in her robe as she did so. Another set of knocks sounded, these ones more urgent than the last. Grumbling to herself, Rosalie threw open the door to reveal Tessa and Sophie. "There had better be a good reason for waking me at this hour." she snapped softly as the two girls hurried into the room.
"Have you spoken to Jessamine lately?" Tessa asked by way of greeting.
Rosalie raised a curious brow at her sister's inquiry. "You woke me to ask about Jessamine?" she sighed, but continued on. "As of late, no. The last time we spoke I consoled her about Nate... why, what's happened?"
Tessa's jaw tightened in consideration. Rosalie could read the look on her face as clear as day. There was a burning question inside her head.
"Out with it, Tessie."
"She mentioned nothing of a ball being hosted by the Lightwood's? Has Gabriel talked to you about it at all? I know you two are close."
A ball? It took all of Rosalie's restraint to keep from barking out a response. Clearly something was amiss here if both Tessa and Sophie had come to her at this hour. "No, neither of them mentioned it to me. Why is this so important?"
Tessa motioned to Sophie, whose eyes had widened immensely. She took a small step forward, wringing her hands in front of her. "Miss Jessamine has been sneaking out. There are nights her bed remains untouched. Then I found an invitation in the pocket of her new jacket. Benedict Lightwood himself invited her."
Rosalie's eyes shifted between the two girls standing before her. She had to admit it all sounded rather odd. Many questions of her own swirled listlessly in her mind. "This has to be another one of his ploys to seize the Institute for himself. Only Jessamine would be gullible enough to fall for his schemes. A few pretty words flitted in her direction are all it would take to sweeten her up."
Tessa politely nudged Sophie forward. "That's not all, miss." Sophie murmured as she handed the invitation over.
At first glance, it seemed to be nothing more than an ordinary invitation. But then Rosalie turned it over in her hands. A handwritten note greeted her, the handwriting as familiar as her own. Breath quickening, eyes darting toward her sister, Rosalie handed the invitation back. "Return that to Jessamine's pocket before she realizes she's lost it." Rosalie said, her voice void of all emotion.
"She already knows." Sophie admitted, ashamed. "She found me holding it. I-I tried to hide it, but it was too late."
"Never mind that then, where is she now? Someone has to stop her."
Sophie let out a soft whimper and her head fell into her hands. Tessa wrapped a supportive arm around her and said "Sophie panicked when Jessamine came at her... she hit her over the head with a mirror."
A trickle of relief rushed through Rosalie's veins. As horrible as it would sound, it was a good thing Sophie had done that. She saved Jessamine from making a colossal mistake. "Have you alerted Charlotte to your findings?"
Tessa shook her head. "I plan to, but I wanted you to be the first to know. If Jessamine is still being courted by our brother, I thought it would be best if you heard it from me."
Sophie spoke a string of jumbled words into her hands and shook her head. "Not Mrs. Branwell." she repeated while lifting her head from her hands. "She'll sack me, I know it."
After a short debate, it was decided that Will was their only option. Rosalie ushered the girls away to dress herself and promised to meet them at Will's room.