CHAPTER TWO. IT BEGINS

▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

HER MOTHER HAD HELPED HER OUT OF THE GOWN AND INTO BED. Tarinne had slept the most peacefully she's sure she's ever slept since what happened in Felea. That is, until commotion outside caused her to stir.

She woke up to shouts of fear and the clashing of swords. She rubbed her tired eyes and sat up in bed. Her head pounded painfully, a side effect of all of the alcohol she consumed that night. When the screams grew louder she stumbled out of her bed and out of her room. Her parents were already up, her father preparing to leave the house. Both of them turned to her when he heard her come out.

"What's going on?" Tarinne asked.

She stared into her father's wide eyes and for the first time in a long time she saw something different in them. Fear.

A feeling of unease washed over her as he moved to stand in front of her. "Do not leave this house, do you understand me?"

"What—"

"I don't care what you hear, do not leave. Do not leave," he spoke before turning and running out of the house with his sword in hand.

Tarinne looked at her mother, "What's happening?"

"Something's here. They got past the Barrier, I don't know how," Raia answered.

"What is it?" Tarinne asked. The woman shook her head. She didn't know.

Tarinne didn't even think as she walked back to her room. She put on her boots, putting a sheathed dagger into each, and grabbed her sword, unsheathing it from its scabbard. She walked to the front door with a newfound determination.

"What are you doing? You heard your father—"

"I'm not going to sit here and let some other creature destroy the place where I'm supposed to feel safe. I'm not," Tarinne ran out of the front door and toward where the shouts were coming from. She looked around the darkness, fog obscuring her vision. She took careful steps forward, walking on the balls of her feet so that she didn't make much noise.

As she got closer to the castle, the fog grew thicker. The hairs on her arms began to rise as an eeriness settled into the air around her. All she heard as she walked through the streets were the screams of the guards. Whatever they were fighting, they were losing badly.

Without any warning, a large dog jumped at her. Tarinne barely dodged out of the way from it. The Death Dog charged at her and she swiped it down with her sword. She didn't give it a chance to get up, stabbing it in the head before yanking her sword from its body. She heard growling and turned slowly just as another Death Dog lunged at her. Before it could reach her, it was knocked down mid-air by a sword, her father effectively killing it.