CHAPTER ONE. ACCUSTOMED FIGHTS AND DRUNKEN NIGHTS

▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

THE CLASH OF SWORDS BROUGHT AN UNNATURAL SOUND TO THE OTHERWISE QUIET FIELD. The sun was barely starting to rise, beginning a new day. Tarinne grunted as she blocked another blow from her opponent's sword. Her curly silver/white hair flew behind her head in its ponytail as she spun and blocked the next blow.

Her opponent didn't let up, gracefully shuffling his feet and moving around her, striking at her with his sword. The flat end of the sword tapped her back before she could dodge it and she huffed, whipping her head around to look at her father. There was a stern look in his eyes and she already had an idea of what he was going to say.

"Don't say it," she breathed, readying herself to continue sparring with the man.

"I shouldn't have been able to do that," the man said. She swung her sword and his blocked hers. "I keep telling you not to turn your back on you opponent. Looking cool means nothing if it gets you killed."

"I wasn't trying to look cool, I was trying fix my footing," she huffed, their swords clashing again.

"If you listened to what I said earlier, your footing would've been correct and you would've been able to block my hit. Or better yet, land a hit of your own," he continued. She shuffled backwards, parrying his next blow by holding her sword vertically. She pushed his sword upwards with her own, pushing him backwards before swiping at him. He leaned his hips backwards to avoid it.

The two continued to maneuver around one another, metal clanging against metal. He landed another tap on her back and he sighed in disappointment. His gaze shifted over to another part of the field, watching a familiar redhead spar with Commander Ballantine. "Look at Jade. How she expertly faints, tripping up even the Commander," he father said.

Tarinne watched as Jade bested Commander Ballantine, a cocky smile dancing on the redhead's features. Commander Ballantine saying how she shouldn't let her head get so big. Jade merely shrugged, her smile remaining. The redhead turned her attention to Tarinne, as if feeling the girl's eyes on her. The two stared at each other for a moment, Jade's face softening ever so slightly before Tarinne scowled at her, turning her attention back to her father.

"She's impressive. She is exactly what the Shining Legion will be looking for in a knight. And they are looking at her when they should be looking at you," Esai turned to face his daughter.

"Well I'm sorry you were stuck with me as a daughter instead of the ever-so-perfect Jade Claymore," Tarinne grumbled.

He ignored her comment and continued, "You need to get your act together if you truly want to join the Shining Legion. There's only so much I can do for you. You're nearly out of time."

Tarinne rolled her eyes, making sure he didn't see her. He rolled his own eyes, "Take an hour and then meet me back here and we'll continue training." He sheathed his sword and walked away. Tarinne watched his retreating figure before sheathing her own sword.