⚡️ Chapter 9 ⚡️

While Mr. Weasley repaired the damage and Hagrid shouted apologies to anybody who would listen, Vega and Harry hurried back to the entrance to find Ron face-to-face with a most eccentric-looking wizard. Slightly cross-eyed, with shoulder-length white hair the texture of candyfloss, he wore a cap whose tassel dangled in front of his nose and robes of an eye-watering shade of egg-yolk yellow. An odd symbol, rather like a triangular eye, glistened from a golden chain around his neck. He turned to look at Vega and Harry as soon as they arrived.

"Xenophilius Lovegood," said the man, extending a hand to Vega and Harry, with the latter of them taking it. "My daughter and I live just over the hill, so kind of the good Weasleys to invite us. But I think you know my Luna?" He added to Ron.

"Yes," Ron replied. "Isn't she with you?"

"She lingered in that charming little garden to say hello to the gnomes, such a glorious infestation!" said Mr. Lovegood. "How few wizards realise just how much we can learn from the wise little gnomes – or, to give them their correct name, the Gernumbli gardensi,"

"Ours do know a lot of excellent swear words," Ron said. "But I think Fred and George taught them those," He led a party of warlocks into the marquee as Luna rushed up.

"Hello, Harry and Vega!" Luna said.

"Er – my name's Barry," Harry said, flummoxed, and Vega sighed.

"Oh, have you changed that too?" Luna asked brightly. "What is your name now, then, Vega? Is it Bega?" Vega stifled her chuckle.

"How did you know –?" Harry asked.

"Oh, just your expressions," Luna replied. "Vega's always with you,"

Like her father, Luna was wearing bright yellow robes, which she had accessorised with a large sunflower in her hair. Once you get over the brightness of it all, the general effect was quite pleasant. At least there were no radishes dangling from her ears.

Xenophilius, who was deep in conversation with an acquaintance, had missed the exchange between Luna, Vega and Harry. Biding the wizard farewell, he turned to his daughter, who held up her finger and said, "Daddy, look – one of the gnomes actually bit me,"

"How wonderful! Gnome saliva is enormously beneficial," Mr. Lovegood said, seizing Luna's outstretched fingers and examining the bleeding puncture marks. "Luna, my love, if you should feel any burgeoning talent today – perhaps an unexpected urge to sing opera or to declaims in Mermish – do not repress it! You may have been gifted by the Gernumblies!"

Ron, passing them in the opposite direction let out a loud snort.

"Ron can laugh," Luna said serenely as Vega and Harry led her and Xenophilius toward their seats. "But my father has done a lot of research on Gernumbli magic,"

"Is that right?" Vega asked, who had long since decided not to challenge Luna or her father's peculiar views. "Are you sure you don't want to put anything on that bite, though? I'm sure I have something for you with me if you would like that,"

"Oh, it's fine," Luna replied, sucking her finger in a dreamy fashion and looking Vega and Harry up and down. "You look smart and pretty. I told Daddy most people would probably wear dress robes, but he believes you ought to wear sun colours to a wedding, for luck, you know,"

"I suppose that is correct," Vega agreed, slightly conscious over her red clothes.

As she drifted off after her father, Ron reappeared with an elderly witch clutching his arm. Her beaky nose, red-rimmed eyes, and leathery pink hat gave her the look of a bad-tempered flamingo.