Part 3

He was going to be late. He knew this, of course, but couldn't quite bring himself to leave the stand, the bowls of Ramen this guy made were so good.

"What do you say? More?" Tsuchi asked the blond. 

"Maybe next time, Tsuchi-San, your Ramen is so good. But I'm going to be late, and I still have to go to my quarters to change. But don't worry, I'll be back as soon as I can to run you dry, I promise. I never go back on my word."

Naruto wondered what possessed him to say such a stupid notion. Perhaps the same thing that gave him the idea to stop at the small but popular Ramen stand.

He shook his head as he continued his way back to the Root Headquarters, he needed to change into Shinobi attire, he was representing the village after all. The blond stopped walking when he passed by a specific shop, and a blood-red scarf caught his eye.

"That scarf is as red as Kaasan's hair. Hm... Good sir, how much is for that red scarf?" The shopkeeper looked up, dismayed.

"Oh, this piece of fabric? It's trash, nobody wants to pay money for this hideous thing."

Naruto tightened his lips to keep the words at the forefront of his brain from spilling out, but he didn't like how this guy was indirectly calling his mother ugly.

"I do, how much?" He asked, starting to get nervous that someone from Root will catch him and report him to Danzo.

"Oh, Good sir, you don't want this junk. If you'd like, I can show you-"

"Is the scarf for sale or not?" Naruto snipped. "If you really want, take it. I'm sick of looking at it, with it finally gone I might be able to get customers again."

Naruto tucked his Root mask away in a pocket and wrapped the scarf around his face, adjusting the fabric so it covered his birthmarks. 

Naruto felt hands on both his shoulders, but when he turned, nobody was around. 'Kaasan?' He shook his head, forcing his tears down as he walked on, but another piece of fabric caught his eye. Unfortunately, the shopkeeper noticed before he could ignore it.

"Good sir, you have a good eye, this here is prime goodness, everything our store has to offer is good. I know you'll feel good when you go through our goods, and make a good deal on the goods in this good place."

"I'll buy the jacket if you stop using the word good."

"Deal! You know I happened to know that this was one of the jackets that the Fourth Hokage wore when he was a Genin, so it's normally very expensive, but you look like him and remind me of him, so I'll give it to you with a great deal..."

"Just give me a price, otherwise I'm walking out and spreading bad rumors about this place."

"25 Ryo! Half off from full price." Naruto tossed him a small bag and pulled the jacket off the display.

~

Naruto walked into the academy in his new attire and searched for his teammates Chakra Signature, finding them near the stairs on the second floor.

He found them just in time to interrupt a fight between Sasuke and ... well, he thinks it's human.

"Why are you attacking my teammate?" Naruto asked emotionless, ignoring the stir in his chest at the words he spoke.

"I wished to test myself against the Prodigous Uchiha Sasuke, I believe that hard work beats natural talent and wish to prove it."

"Then how about proving it against a fellow speedster that can use Taijutsu much better than you or your pathetic sensei can? Besides, I came in at the top this year, and I did much better than anyone else before me."