Chapter 24

The sun streamed golden through the window as a well-mannered announcement of the risen sun. It looked to be a perfect day today, considering the circumstances. Sportacus had left, but Magnús was at her bedside, her small fragile hand in his. He played with her fingers and watched her facial expressions. Gemma seemed to have been having a bad dream as her face curled in sadness and fear. Probably a dream of what had happened.

Gemma stirred as she came to. Her eyes fluttered, resting on her head. She trailed up the person's arm from their hand and locked eyes with Magnús. A grin met the corner of his lips and he kissed her hand gently.

"Hey there," he whispered. "How are you feeling?"

She smirked a little and sighed. "Feeling a little fuzzy. And I'm in a bit of pain. Did they remove the bullet?"

He slowly nodded. "Can you still not feel your legs?"

Gemma paused for a moment, trying to tell if she had any feeling at all. Tears swelled up, and she tried to blink them away. The last thing she wanted to do was cry in front of Magnús.

She was scared, and in pain, and it all sucked. Did she regret taking the bullet? Of course not. Would she do it again? In a heartbeat. The biggest question tickled her brain; would she ever be able to feel her legs again?

And why would Magnús want to have anything to do with her now that should couldn't walk? She was a damaged mess now. Her life was pretty much ruined. But it was worth it. It was worth saving his life. He could've been the one laying in this hospital bed, or worse.

The thought of Magnús being killed made her choke. There was no denying she was in love with him. The way he had treated her while she was in Iceland was like a breath of fresh air. No one had ever taken care of her the way he did. He showed her his world, and she was hooked.

"What's on your mind?" Magnús asked, drawing circles on the front of her hand with his thumb.

"I can't feel my legs. And I might not ever again," Gemma said, choking back tears. "I won't blame you if you walk away."

He chuckled and kissed her hand softly. "I would never walk away. I-I care about you too much..."

They held eyes contact for a few minutes, but Gemma was the first to break it as she looked away at her feet. She sighed deeply and shook her head.

"Thank you," Magnús said after a moment of silence. "Thank you for saving me and thank you for... you know..."

Gemma smiled. "I care about you too, Magnús. That's something else I wanted to talk to you about."

She cleared her throat and zoned out, trying to form words. Words that she wanted to say carefully... the right way. Gemma had never felt this way before towards someone. So many words, so many ways to form them in the right sentence for him to understand. Did he feel the same about her? He cared for her, that was obvious, but was he in love with her she wondered?

Magnús stood up and leaned in, his warm breath on her cheek. He had a smile form and his blue eyes danced with wonder and love as he looked at her. He kissed her forehead, her nose, her cheek, then hovered over her lips. Her pretty pink lips that he had been wanting to kiss from the first time he had met her.

"Gemma," he whispered. "I know this is an odd time to bring this up. But I can tell something is on your mind and if I know you well enough, it's about insecurities. Gemma... I'm in love with you. I have been since the first time I've met you."

Butterflies fluttered in her stomach as the warmth of his breath kissed her lips. Her heart skipped a beat as his blue eyes looked into her very soul. He loved her. And he seemed genuine at his words as his lips brushed against hers softly.

"I-..." she stammered, this beautiful moment taking her aback. "I love you too, Magnús."

He smiled, his lips closing the gap between them, and he planted a gentle kiss. Her lips were as good as her eyes, sending Magnús into a sensual state of intoxication. The softness, the passion, and love behind it as she kissed him back. Her heart busted at the seams and did flips in her chest as he caressed her cheek. Running his fingers through her hair behind her neck.

He paused, smiling, within the kiss. "I love you so much, Gemma. Everything will be fine now."

Everything will be fine.

Would it, though? She couldn't feel her legs, which meant she couldn't walk. Which also meant her life was pretty much over before it began.

A gloom fell over her, and it was written all over her face. Magnús stared at her intently, a tilt of his head as he rubbed her cheek with his thumb. Somehow, someway, he knew what she was thinking.

"We will figure this out together," he told her, kissing her hand repeatedly as reassurance. "I'm sure by some miracle, you'll regain feeling in your legs and you'll be able to walk again."

"Do you really believe that?" Gemma asked, not believing it herself.

He nodded. "I do. Because you're a strong woman and persistent. And I know you'll try your hardest to fight this. Everything will be okay. Everything will work itself out."

A tear rolled down her cheek, meeting Magnús' thumb. She gave him a small smile and nodded, unsure what to say. Gemma was glad he was here by her side. She was also happy to know they had locked Kim up and that she would have to testify against her. Magnús had the proof they needed to lock her up for a long time.

She would be charged with attempted murder as well, along with other things. Magnus was right: everything would be okay and work itself out.

The optimism coming from him gave her hope for the future. She grinned as she stared at her toes, which wiggled a little. Magnús saw this and shared her smile, patting her hand and leaving soft kisses.

He didn't even need to say anything for her to know what his thoughts were.

Everything was going to be alright. In the end, the good guys won. Or did they?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To be continued....