𝟓𝟕 | 𝐅𝐨𝐜𝐮𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐎𝐧 𝐀𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐝

Start from the beginning

*

SOUTH OF WALL ROSE

The hills and plains of the stretched land was calm, and peaceful as if nothing has happened. It was early in the morning, which gave us some time to settle in the new cottage we've been set in. Seeing from a distance, a wagon and horse were rested up at the front.

Reaching the place the wind dies down, as my hair grew fluffy and scruffy from the rushing wind.

"Look good," Levi sarcastically comments, nearing his horse near mine while we slowly trotted to the house. He pats my hair down, feeling his fingers glide across my soft skin while tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. A blush dusts across my cheeks, while stammering over my words.

Clearing my throat, I side glance his way.

"Um.....well, we don't all look perfect you know," I retort playfully, but rather defensively. My hand ball around the reigns, while puffing my cheeks out like a child would.

He clicks his teeth with a small smirk tugging at the corner of his lips, as we continue heading towards the hut. Lena flanks behind us both, while being rather quiet but with a teasing grin, when I turned to check on her. Her eyes would flicker from me, to Levi before giving me a sly wink. Rolling my eyes playfully, we soon arrive at our destination.

"We'll discuss about our current plan once everyone is settled," I spoke up, when coming to a halt. Gripping the pommel of the saddle, and cantle, I land comfortably on the ground while patting my horse gently. 

Levi hums in agreement, "They better have that damn place spotless, and dusted," he warningly says, while we brought our horses to the stables beside the house. Lena ties her horse already, before heading straight inside of the building. 

"Come on, I know we gave them a chance to clean......" I began, while pushing some water near our horses. The water swishes side to side, almost over filling the sides. ".......anyway, we have more important matters to worry about, than cleanliness."

Patting the dust against my jeans, I place a hand on his shoulder warmly.

"Come on, we have a lot to talk to the kiddos," I chuckle softly, while pressing a chaste kiss upon his cheek. 

"You missed," he murmurs, but I was too out of earshot to hear while making my way to the building. 

The valley around was so quiet, that it gave us some sense of solace and peacefulness. After a heavy and chaotic week or two, things were finally calming down. Though it may seem that way, I knew things might become an obstacle and disrupt that peace. No matter, I can deal with what we have for now.

I couldn't complain, especially after what we've been through.

Finally entering the room with Levi following behind, I see the kids cleaning with such haste and panic. Smiling tenderly with how hard they were working, I walk up to Jean who was only nearby, "Just ease up, will ya kiddo," I softly assure the boy, as he tenses under my hand.

"Oh, Corporal!" He exclaims, with surprise. "It's......good to see y-you're doing well!"

"Sasha, give me the bread!" Armin calls out, while seeing her refusing to do so. "Come on, befo--Corporal! Captain!"

He cut himself off when he meets my eyes, sweat drops with embarrassment while Sasha continues to selfishly hog the bread holding it in the air, out of reach. Not knowing the full story, I bet I know she didn't mean too. 

Levi quietly walks in, while I walk over taking the bread that was in the air from her grasp.

"Come on Sasha, we need to make ends meet," I warningly laugh, while trying to at least be firm and not overly strict. "We're soldiers, not animals......okay?"