chapter 6: until Christmas

Today was Christmas. Honestly, having that sleepover with Vic was so much more fun than today. My parents and two dumb siblings were coming over which I wasn't very excited about. They decided to come for dinner. My dad had always preferred my two brothers over me but I guess that's just how it works. I was cleaning the house, making sure to make every corner of my apartment shine.

DING DONG!

The doorbell rang and I quickly went to open it. It was my family.
"Come in! It's cold outside," I stepped back and let them enter. They all hugged me.
They all went to sit down on the couch. 
"So Angelica, how have you been? Any cute boys?" Mom jokingly asked me. 
"I've been very good actually, and sadly no cute boys. I've been very busy."
"With what? Doing nothing all day?" Manuel laughed and Mattia soon joined in. I felt angry. They were making fun of me while I was working my butt of trying to find a job, unlike them.
"Actually, I was trying to find a job and I in fact did."
"And what job did you manage to get?" Dad asked, his face full of curiosity.
"Personal assistant," I replied, my face covered in pride.
"A personal assistant?! Angelica, that is such a low job. I would understand if you didn't go to a university so you got a job like that, but you... How are you gonna live?" Mom was shocked but I could see on my dad's face that he did not really care.
"Personal assistant? More like personal maid. Honestly, I didn't expect more from you Angie." Mattia started laughing.
"Whatever, how much are you gonna be paid? 100 euros monthly?" Mattia could not contain his laughter.
"No, I'm gonna be paid 2,500 euros monthly, unlike you Manuel."
Their jaws dropped and they both decided to stop picking on me like some high school bullies. 
"Erm, why don't we all go sit down at the table," my mom switched the theme. God bless her. We all agreed and the others decided to sit down.
"So, what have you cooked for us tonight?" Dad asked.
"Well, on the menu for tonight we got roasted potatoes, chicken and a salad."
They were all pretty happy.

------------------

"So, whose personal assistant are you?" Mom asked me. I choked on my food. I didn't know how to tell her that I work for a band. A rock band.
"Oh um...for a band." I couldn't lie, they would figure out. Mind as well tell them.
"A band?"
"Yeah, a rock band..."
"A rock band?!" My dad looked like he was about to explode. My mom looked disappointed.
"Yes, what about it?" I gained just a bit confidence to talk back to my dad.
"Don't you dare talk back! How dare you work for a rock band!? O Dio mio," my dad started praying for me.
"Well, what is the band's name?" My mom asked, trying to calm down the situation. That was a very, very bad idea.

"Måneskin."

"Oh no. For them!? Are you insane Angelica? This family is going to hell because of you. Are you aware of how they dress and act? Always naked and provocative! They even have a lesbian in the group, disgusting. I expected more from you, Angelica. I might disown you," my dad angrily said.
"Darling, calm down," my mom said.
I got up.
"Fine then! Disown me! You've always treated me and mom like trash bags compared to you and my so called 'brothers'. And now you make fun of me for having a good job? Oh come on dad, get our head out of your ass! It's disgusting that you think that way. You never let me do anything fun. You, Mattia and Manuel, get the fuck out of my apartment!"

"Oh now you really messed up Angelica!" Dad yelled.

"No! You messed up by getting here, you don't care about me at all. I suggest that you take your fat ass and your two little rats out of my apartment before I kick you out by myself," I threatened.
"Fine! We didn't need you anyway! You were always the spawn of Satan and you will always be. Come on, let's go," he grabbed my moms hand but she tugged it back. 
"Oh come on! You can't be on her side!"
My mom shook her head.
"Oh yes, I can! Now get out of here! We're done."
"Fine, let's go boys. And when you try to come back home, the house doors will be locked. I will change the door keys so you can't get in, you will be homeless!"
My dad and brothers left, slamming the front door.

My mom started crying. I quickly ran over to her so I could comfort her.
"Mom, it's okay. Let's sit down." 
We both sat down on the couch.
"It won't be okay, I'm going to be homeless!" She was weeping in my arms like crazy.
"I'm sorry my baby, I wish I never married him. But I had no choice. You know, it was an arranged marriage. I never wanted to marry a man like him." 
"Oh my God, I'm so sorry. It's okay mom, you can live with me for a while. I have a spare bedroom," I replied as she started hugging me like crazy.
"Thank you so much Angie, I thought that you wouldn't care about me."
"Oh of cour-"

RING RING!

My phone started ringing. I quickly apologized to my mom and went to my bedroom to talk. It was Victoria.
"Hey, just wanted to wish you a happy Christmas, Angie!"
"Thank you so much Vic, happy Christmas to you too. Listen, I'm so sorry but I need to hang up. My mom is here and well... I'm having some family problems. Can I call you later?"
"Of course! I'm so, so sorry! I didn't know. I'll hang up now. Bye!"
She hung up. I felt bad for tell her I needed to hang up. I missed her. But I had a crying mother in my living room. I came back and saw that my mom stopped crying. I sat down next to her.
"Mom, it's getting late. How about we both go to bed?" I asked slowly getting up. She nodded and got up as well. I gave her a spare toothbrush I had and toothpaste. I also gave her my pj's. 
She kissed my cheek, thanked me and went to the guestroom. I got ready for bed and threw myself onto it.

I really needed to rethink everything.