chapter 34 • cherry and alex began to plan out their next hundred dates

Start from the beginning

"i'm ready to jump him." cherry said.

suddenly, there was a knock at the door.

"there he is! everyone, let's be nice to the instagram model we'll probably never see again, okay?" penelope said.

alex and elena greeted their father, with a hug.

"looking good, lupe! so is the place!" victor said.

cherry sat beside alex, holding his hand.

"hey! ugly pillow in the closet?" victor pointed at the couch. "oh, hi, cherry."

"hi!" cherry greeted.

"where's uh, baby? i mean, blondie! your girlfriend?" penelope questioned, and turned around.

"hi!" victors new girlfriend greeted.

"holy sh-" cherry began, and alex slapped a hand over her mouth.

victors new girlfriend looked exactly like penelope.

"i love your hair!" the woman complimented.

"i love your hair!" penelope laughed.

"is that a ring?" lydia questioned.

"when are you gonna give me one?" cherry glanced over at alex.

"me? i'm broke. you're proposing." alex stared.

"well, uh, i thought we had a few more minutes of small talk before we got there. but, uh, yeah. nicole is my fiancée! surprise." victor made jazz hands.

lydia attempted to lift the table.

"i don't have it." lydia blinked.

the family got settled.

"thank you for being so welcoming. i know it must be awkward, victor coming by with his new fiancée." nicole said.

"you think?" lydia asked.

"it's not awkward, it's just surprising. you know, like, oh, that guy won the election? really?" penelope said. "but it worked out fine."

"i just didn't want to introduce you until things got really serious, but then they got really serious really fast." victor explained.

"alex, i am so excited to meet you. you're even more handsome in person than you are in photos." nicole complimented.

"yeah, he's cute, huh?" cherry questioned.

"and.. you are?"

"his girlfriend. my names cherry."

"well, nice to meet you!"

cherry awkwardly nodded.

"and, elena, your papi has told me so much about you! just so i know, what are your preferred pronouns?" nicole questioned.

"well, my pronouns are she and her, but my syd-nificant other indentifies as they. thank you for asking." elena stated at her mother.

"she, they, how do we keep people straight?" victor questioned.

"oh, you wanna keep people straight?" elena questioned.

"okay!" penelope and nicole stopped him, in unison.

"my little sister, mia, identifies as queer, and she's teaching me how to be an ally so i can pass it on to my students." nicole explained.

"oh, you're a teacher?" penelope asked.

"i'm a special education teacher at an elementary school." nicole explained.

"isn't she amazing?" victor smiled.