chapter 33 • it'd left both alex and cherry with a sad, empty feeling

Start from the beginning

lydia see her laundry basket down.

the laundry room was nice, clean, and modern.

"oh, what happened? everything is so different!" lydia said.

"i think it looks good." cherry shrugged.

"yeah, they replaced the old machines that shook so hard they moved across the room." alex agreed.

"pero that's how i knew the spin cycle was over! they came up and smacked me on the nalgas! it reminded me of your abuelo!" lydia laughed.

"can i slap your nalgas?" cherry grinned.

"no!" alex said, placing his hands over it.

the washing machine played a little time.

"schneider programmed them to play different songs when they're done." alex explained.

"don't quit your day job, dryer. okay, and where do i put the quarters?" lydia opened the washing machine, and dumped the clothes in.

"you pay with your phone." alex paid.

"so dumb!"

"you'll get used to it, abuelita. remember when you thought rays from the microwave would give elena chest hair?"

"we shall see! ay, your mother never emptied her pockets! y que es esto?"

lydia pulled out a vape pen, a bag of weed.

cherry and alex looked at each-other nervously.

"uh, it looks like a pen set and some catnip." alex shrugged.

"dios mio! it is las drogas." lydia sniffed the bag.

"no, why do you think that's drug stuff? i think someone's been writing letters to a cat!" alex excused.

cherry pressed her face into alex's shoulder, sighing.

"it is the vape! i have seen it many times on caso cerrado." lydia remembered. "alex! your mami is addicted to the weeds!"

"oh, yes! mami!" alex said, dramatically.

cherry looked at alex with a blank expression.

"i cannot believe that lupe is on the wacky weed! get me a friend egg so i can show her what her brain looks like on drugs! i am never going to stop yelling at her!" lydia frowned.

"or you can say nothing! quiet mad! that's the worst kind of mad." alex suggested.

"exactly. it'll just be a secret." cherry shrugged.

"a silent cuban is the deadliest of cubans. but first, i yell, and i give her such a pow-pow!" lydia stormed off.

"abuelita, it's mine!" alex called out.

"huh? what."

"it's my weed. mom found it in my room, and she must've left it in her pocket."

"is this why you have been grounded?"

"yeah. mami's been hiding it from you because i asked her too. i just didn't wanna let you down. i'm so sorry, abuelita."

lydia said nothing.

she just continued to fold her clothes.

"abuelita, say something." alex begged. "anything! tel me one of your stories! here, i'll even get you started. havana, 1952! how can i make this better? i'll do anything. i'll clean the house everyday, i'll let you pick out all my clothes, i'll even shave my head!"

"fuck no." cherry cut in.

"ay, no!" lydia stood up.

"gracias a dios." alex smiled.

"papito, you should have known better. i am very disappointed in you!" lydia lectured.

"i'm sorry, abuelita. it was a mistake. and i'll never do it again." alex apologized.

lydia wrapped her arms around him.

"i did it, too." lydia revealed.

"huh?" cherry's eyes widened.

"what?" alex questioned.

"the marijuana. i, too, rode the green dragon. i accidentally ate one of leslie's pot lozenges, and i became very.. como se dice? lit." lydia nodded.

cherry laughed.

"wait, you got high?" alex questioned.

"i got real high, baby. and it was stupid! and we must promise each other that we will never, ever, ever toss the devils salad again!" lydia stuck her pinky out.

"we need to work on your slang, abuelita." alex blinked. "but okay."

the pair returned to folding their clothes.

cherry sat on the counter, and made sure to shove the joint deep into her pocket.

she kept her hand over it.

alex looked down.

"got some salad in there?" alex questioned.

"yeah, but not for you." cherry shrugged.

"not anymore."

"that's fine, ale. if you don't wanna smoke, you don't have too. i'm never gonna make you do something that you don't wanna do."

"i know. i trust you."

cherry pulled him in and gently kissed him.

cherry kissed back, hands rested gently on her waist.

a kiss meant to much to them.

it had been so many different things.

at first, it'd left both alex and cherry with a sad, empty feeling in their hearts.

it made them feel alone.

but not anymore. they were whole together.