⚡️ Chapter 54 ⚡️

Start from the beginning

"Well, yes, I'm sure," Mrs. Weasley said. "But I thought perhaps – given how – how he –"

"You thought I would not weesh to marry him? Or per'aps, you hoped?" Fleur said, her nostrils flaring. "What do I care how he looks? I am good-looking enough for both of us, I theenk! All these scars show is zat my husband is brave! And I shall do zat!" She added fiercely, pushing Mrs. Weasley aside and snatching the ointment from her.

Mrs. Weasley fell back against her husband and watched Fleur mopping up Bill's wounds with a most curious expression upon her face. Nobody said anything; Vega did not move either, waiting to see where this would go, and certainly hoped for the better.

"Our Great-Auntie Muriel," Mrs. Weasley said after a long pause. "Has a very beautiful tiara – goblin-made – which I am sure I could persuade her to lend you for the wedding. She is very fond of Bill, you know, and it would look lovely with your hair,"

"Thank you," Fleur said stiffly. "I am sure zat will be lovely,"

And then, Vega did not quite see how it happened, both women were crying and hugging each other. Completely bewildered but still relieved, wondering whether the world had gone mad, Vega turned around: Harry and Ron looked as stunned as she felt and Ginny and Hermione were exchanging startled looks at the change of events.

"You see!"

Vega jumped, for that strained voice had come from right next to her and belonged to her older cousin, who was glaring at Lupin. And Lupin himself looked just as shocked as everyone. It took Vega a second longer to realise that her cousin was talking about –

"She still wants to marry him, even though he's been bitten!" Dora exclaimed. "She doesn't care!"

"It's different," Lupin said, barely moving his lips and looking suddenly tense. "Bill will not be a full werewolf. The cases are completely –"

"But I don't care either, I don't care!" Dora said, seizing the front of Lupin's robes and shaking them, a behaviour unknown to Vega. "I've told you a million times...."

"And I've told you a million times," Lupin said, refusing to meet her eyes, staring at the floor. "That I am too old for you, too poor... too dangerous..."

"I've said all along you're taking a ridiculous line on this, Remus," Mrs. Weasley said over Fleur's shoulder as she patted the girl on the back.

"I am not being ridiculous," Lupin replied steadily. "Tonks deserves somebody young and whole,"

"But she wants you," Mr. Weasley said, with a small smile. "And after all, Remus, young and whole men do not necessarily remain so," He gestured sadly at his son, lying between them.

"This is... not the moment to discuss it," said Lupin, avoiding everybody's eyes as he looked around distractedly to pull the topic away. "Dumbledore is dead..."

"I don't know Professor Dumbledore very well," Vega spoke up. "But from the time I've spent around him, I feel like he would've been happier than anybody to think that there was a little more love in the world... It's clear that we need it more than ever now..."

Just as people were turning to look at Vega, the hospital doors opened again and Hagrid walked in. The little of his face that was not obscured by hair or beard was soaking and swollen; he was shaking with tears, a vast, spotted handkerchief in his hand.

"I've... I've done it, Professor," Hagrid choked. "M-moved him. Professor Sprout's got the kids back in bed. Professor Flitwick's lyin' down, but he says he'll be all righ' in a jiffy, an' Professor Slughorn says the Ministry's bin informed,"