9

Sunday 30th October 2022, Mexico City, Mexico

For the fourth and final time this week, Lily entered the paddock with Lando and Arthur. People had seemed to notice this trio, mainly because it stuck out like a sore thumb, but because more rumours were going around about Lily and Arthur's relationship and seeing a couple with the girlfriends brother seemed to be an eye opener for a new article.

"Great, our pictures are being taken. Just to add to the stress" Lily sighs, pulling down her sunglasses "I think you're overthinking this, it might just be about the crash" Arthur tries to reassure his girlfriend "When your boss calls you at 11pm and asks to speak to you first thing in the morning it's typically not a good thing Arthur!" Lily snaps

Lando and Arthur look at each other with sad looks "Sorry, I'm sorry for snapping. I started my period this morning and this whole big situation is just stressing me out. I shouldn't have snapped at you" she apologies, Arthur pulls her in gently, giving her a hug and kissing her head "It's okay, I understand. Let me know how things go later? I need to head to the garage"

"Yeah" she smiles as Arthur kisses her cheek, and quickly runs along to the Aston Martin garage "You ready to go inside?" Lando asks putting a hand on her shoulder "I don't know"

"Listen, if it is about moving to Mercedes then just be honest with him. Just tell him Mercedes have offered you a multi year contract that's going to get you higher in your career. Toto is willing to buy you out of this. And come on it's Toto, he wouldn't just want anyone on his team"

"Thanks Lan"

Hopping into the garage, Alex greets her with a smile. She's happy that he's getting a chance to show off his talent in the races she won't be able to "Alex, have you seen Zak?"

"In here Lily!" she hears him shouting from the back

She walks into his office and a million thoughts go through her mind, he's sitting with a smile on his face, is he happy? Is this about the crash or is it about the move to Mercedes? Is there something else he needs to talk to her about?"

"Hey, are you alright sitting down?" he asks standing up from his chair "Yeah, should be okay" she smiles, slowly lowering herself to the seat "So, how've you been?"

"I guess i've been better, but recovering well. Physio had been going great"

"Well I'm very happy to hear that, do you think you'll be able to race in Abu Dhabi?"

"There a 90% chance i will be able to, that's what doctors are saying"

"And will Abu Dhabi be your last race with us?"

"Way to set up the topic Zak" you sigh "Toto talked to me yesterday after qualifying, asked if we could have a meeting as soon as possible. He told me that he wants to buy you out of your McLaren contract, he want you'd to sign a multi year contract with Mercedes. How do you feel about it, what would you do?"

"To be honest Zak. I would take the opportunity. I can't thank you and this team enough for what you've done for my career, but i do want to further with a huge team like Mercedes. If you don't want me to leave until my contract is up next year then i will stay with McLaren but Toto has made me aware that no matter what, i will have a Mercedes contract waiting on me"

"Lily. You're one of the most talented young people i've ever seen in this sport. To hold you back from an opportunity with a team like Mercedes wouldn't be right of me. So if you want to go, i can let you"

"Thank you Zak"

"I'll talk with Toto, we can get things ready by next weekend. It shouldn't be announced any later than Abu Dhabi. We've enjoyed having you Lily, congratulations" Zak smiles and Lily can't help but tear up a little

She and Zak had never had an exactly close relationship, usually if she hadn't done well a particular weekend Zak would be seen having stern words with her, Lily always had a comeback no matter how much trouble she got in. But today came to a realisation for both of them, they only had two whole weekends together as a team. They had to put problems in the past and move on.

"Thank you for everything Zak. Really"

"You're going to be a world champion one day Liliana"

Lily hopped out of the office and accidentally bumped into Lando, although when she looked up at him she immediately started crying "Hey, hey. What's wrong?"

"I really hope Austin wasn't my last race Lando"

"Ana, what happened in the office"

"If I race in Abu Dhabi. It will be our last race as teammates"

"You're going to Mercedes?" Lily nods, falling into Lando's chest. He wraps his arms around her "I'm going to miss you, like really going to miss you but I'm so proud of you. So fucking proud" he cries holding her "You're the best teammate I've had and come on, I've had Daniel Ricciardo and Carlos Sainz" he jokes "I'm really going to miss you Lando"

"I'm going to miss you too. But let's not be sad okay? This is something happy and we should focus on getting better. Make Abu Dhabi our best race yet"

"Speaking of, I need to go get ice"

"Go to my drivers room, I'll go get you ice and I'll also get your boyfriend along the way" he smiles "Thanks Lando"

"Always"