Chapter 24: Highs and Lows

Start from the beginning

It was then that you knew that the three of you had come to an agreement as Tanjiro spoke his next few words. "I think... That Zenitsu and Uzui's wives are all still alive. And I'm acting on that belief."

A hum of agreement came from you as you turned back around to survey the area as Tanjiro and Inosuke finished talking.

"I want to rescue them. I want you to do the same and I definitely don't want you to die! Got it?"

"Everything you just said I was just going to say the same thing!"

You smiled as Inosuke spoke his agreeance. "Alright boys, let's split up and meet back here in a few hours after the sun has set."

With a nod, the three of you dispersed.

~~~~~

You had approached the house that Zenitsu had disappeared from. A knowing thought nagged you at the back of your head. This would probably be the first place that Uzui would look for answers.

Uzui had taught you well. You trailed him as he interrogated one of the owners of the establishment. As soon as he left and hopped on the rooftops, you joined him.

"What are you doing here (Y/N)?"

"There's no way you could get rid of me brother."

Not once did he stop to look at you as the both of you made your way across the buildings.

Uzui was silent, letting you following him without putting up a fight.

"Brother, you've helped me so much back then. It's only right that I help you now."

It might not have meant much to Uzui while he was training you. But it meant everything to you. Not only was he able to help you adapt to the language, but his brash yet friendly demeanor (despite his god complex) was familiar to you. It helped you keep your panic at bay every time thoughts from the fall surfaced to the forefront of your mind.

In the end, he truly felt like one of your older brothers to you. He was family, and at this point you felt compelled to help him find his wives.

"..."

"We're going to meet up with Hinatsuru."

Your eyes light up at the thought of meeting up with one of his three wives.

"Once we sort out all the information on what's going on in this town, we're going to settle this at dawn."

His words were sound, and there would be no arguing with him.

You would be here until the end for him, the least you could do it listen to his orders while helping him. (And you knew you would help him no matter what.)

~~~

This was not how you were expecting your first meeting with one of Uzui's wives would go.

You watched as he cradled Hinatsuru in his arms. After blinking for a moment, you made eye contact with him as he had her swallow a pill.

The concern on his face had you moving.

"Here, let me look at her brother." She had side eyed you the moment you stepped in with Uzui. But had closed her eyes to tell Uzui everything she knew and what she had to do. The two shifted as you approached them, giving her a quick evaluation of her health. You mumbled under your breath. "She poisoned herself?" Was the situation for her dire enough to resort to poisoning as a means to escape?