how the cookie crumbles

Start from the beginning

He tried taking a big breath only for it to fail, the small dust particles burned his lungs, sending Kai into a coughing fit.

"A-are y-ou-" Taehyun tried voicing his concern while Kai struggled to stay above the older, knowing that Taehyun won't be able to withstand the weight if his arm buckles and he falls onto him.

"It's okay..." he said, his voice short breathed and strained. "Save your breath...".

He felt the older nodding against his shirt.

"Guys?!" Soobin's panicked voice came through the door, the elder waving his hands in an attempt to clear the dust. His heartbeat picks up when he realized he can't even spot the younger two due to the thickness of the air.

The dust went into his eyes, causing them to burn and fill with tears.

"Hyun-ah!? Hyuka!?" He screamed as the building bumped down again, this time going a half a floor lower into the ground.

Soobin gripped onto the door's frame, jumping along and landing softly on his two feet.

Screams pierced the room and Soobin focused to see if the heart breaking sounds came from his right or his left.

He ran blindly into the room, not caring for the stuff on the floor. His focus solely on finding his babies.

"Shit! Fucking hell! Kai... Kai can you hear me?" Soobin yelled when he stumbled into a body on the floor.

Kai was barely holding on, but managed to stay on top of Taehyun, not noticing how he drips sweat and blood near the elder's head.

"Hyung.." Kai allowed himself to whimper at Soobin's voice. His chest tightened and he felt another coughing fit sneaking through his throat. "I'm fine Hyung.. Take Him.." he said. Referring to the red headed boy beneath him, not even sure if he's conscious or not.

Soobin dug and pulled Taehyun from Kai's hold, scooping The second youngest in his arms and standing up.

Kai's arm gave up as soon as he registered Soobin's actions. His body crashing powerless against the floor and he could feel his eyelids closing off.

"Hey! Kai no!" Soobin went from holding Taehyun in his arms to flinging him on his shoulder to free one arm. "Kai, get up!" Soobin panicked.

"Go Hyung, I'll be right behind you.." Kai spoke with the amount of air left in his lungs.

Soobin doubted that, hearing the quiver in the younger's voice. But another tilt of the floor reminded him that there's no time for hesitating. He decided to trust Kai's words.

Soobin sprinted out of the room, dodging the pieces of furniture on the floor. His heart heavy when he realized he left Kai behind, but he had to keep going. Some of them had to leave the wrecked building alive.

He skipped the stairs 3 by 3, using the leverage of having long legs. Soobin looked behind him, his heart aching when he saw no one behind him.

He sniffled his tears, this was no time to cry.

He knew something was off about this motel. The way it was perfectly hidden, the way it was empty of people. He just drove, and suddenly caught glimpse of lights. And Soobin vaguely remember it only having one place of parking. He also remembers completely dismissing that fact due to them being exhausted.

Was this place...? Built for them?

A cold hand in his stopped his thoughts in a halt.

He looked over his shoulder, seeing Kai barely holding his own weight.

Soobin squeezed the younger's hand, pulling Kai's body forward to lean on his back.

"Don't let go" Soobin ordered before running towards the entrance.

...........

"Hyung..." Beomgyu spoke carefully, not wanting to tick off the already on edge elder who was sitting with his fists clenched, the bloodied spots on his knuckles none of them had thought to clean up were now all dried up.

Yeonjun's eyes were focused on the road, but anyone who knew him could tell his mind was in a different place.

"Hyung, talk to me.." Beomgyu requested, using a light tone to try and calm Yeonjun.

"Just drive beom" Yeonjun spat coldly.

"I understand you're upset, but we're in this together, I'm not the one you should be mad at...." Beomgyu mumbled the last bit. Feeling hurt as Yeonjun rarely spoke to him with such a distant voice.

Yeonjun looked out the window, avoiding the younger's eyes.

Beomgyu switched a gear, stepping harder on the gas. He glanced sideways, catching a glimpse of the tears forming in Yeonjun's angry eyes.

Beomgyu decided to drop the bomb anyways.

"I'm telling him."

The older snapped his head to meet Beomgyu's eyes.

"Don't fucking dare to, do you hear me?!" He yelled, causing the younger to flinch in fear, something that he never thought could happen when he's with his soft natured Hyung.

"Are you kidding me Hyung?.." something in Beomgyu's voice broke. "I don't deserve that type of speech and you know it" he said.

Yeonjun huffed, but couldn't help the pang of guilt inside when he heard the disappointment and hurt and Beomgyu's words.

"I get it, you're sensitive when it comes to Soobin Hyung. You're In love for God sakes. Anyone would be the same if they went through what you and Soobin did. But how many times did Soobin drill in us the importance of communication Hyung? If we never talked about the hard stuff... the painful stuff, Hyung. We'd be dead by now, and you know I'm right."

Yeonjun wanted to argue, but yes. Beomgyu was right. Beomgyu was annoyingly right.

Communication was their key, without it they wouldn't have survived this long with so many people breathing on their necks.

"I'm sorry..." Yeonjun said after a few minutes.

Beomgyu punched the gas again, using the few last drops of fuel it had.

"It's okay Hyung, just don't talk to me like that again. We're one team... we're not against each other."

"I won't, I'm sorry if I scared you beom. I'm just-"

"I know Hyung... it'll be okay" Beomgyu smiled in reassurance.

Yeonjun leaned back in his seat, unclenching his fists.

"You're going in circles by the way..." he said to the younger.

Beomgyu groaned in frustration.

"I know! This place is impossible to find..."

Yeonjun scanned the forest-looking area, seeing no sigh of sketchy motel.

"What the heck..." he mumbled under his breath. "Beom do you see it?" He asked when he couldn't spot the building.

"It was right here Hyung... I remember this tree. I don't understand......"

"Is it.. gone?"

........

Author here.

I see this story is getting more and more reads... ngl it makes me a bit emotional.

Thank you for liking it!💙 tell me what you think about this chapter!

Wildfire and rain update tomorrow for anyone who follows that story as well